I Thought Oscar Fish Can Get Along With Each Other

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I bought two beautiful red tiger oscars. Now one of them is constantly bullying the other. I see cut fins and it is also lying down at a corner. :(

I hate to set up a tank only to be forced to put a divider or get a separate tank. How do I fix this? Add more Oscars or separate the two?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Tank size is an important factor. However, the sex of the pair is a dominant factor. Trying to keep males together, even sibling brothers, is not going to be easy, even in mega-size tanks. In 125 gal to 300 gal tanks, I've only had success in keeping M/F pairs together with no aggression between them.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Are they juveniles? A little unusual to have little ones not get along, but like said, once they reach maturity at 2-3, all bets are off. Like pretty much any cichlids, multiples always have the potential to ending badly.

I'm a fellow oscar keeper as well, but only keep him/her in with a green sev. The severum is usually the feistier of the two, as oscars are usually wimps and drama queens when stressed. Like said, space and decor to break up sight lines is key.

Lots of water volume and water changes needed to keep nitrates low as well if you keep multiple big fish.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Tank size is an important factor. However, the sex of the pair is a dominant factor. Trying to keep males together, even sibling brothers, is not going to be easy, even in mega-size tanks. In 125 gal to 300 gal tanks, I've only had success in keeping M/F pairs together with no aggression between them.
interesting. i have aspirations to set up a 300-400 gallon tank/pond for a group of oscars and catfish. not in the works yet but when i have the means it will be. you don't think a 2-3 male/4-5 female mix will work in a 8x2 tank?

ive always wanted a nice setup for oscars but never had a properly sized tank.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store