I took a risk. 425 craigslist rebuild

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
False....i used ge #2 back in 07-08 when it came out and witnessed the effects first hand. The fish's slime coats and skin began to melt off after a couple weeks in the tank. Ugly, bloody looking mess with fish twitching around convulsing. Once removed the fish recovered quickly. Luckily i saved most of them in time. It was 100% the ge#2. There is ge #2 sold without mold inhibitor out there so its more likely u used one of those muttly instead of a mold inhibitor. O.P. take the time to strip it down/out for a redo or it may be possible to cover it up with fish safe silicone. I do agree the RTV is far superior to Ge1 in general but the mold inhibitor in ur fish tank is common sense not too.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
How long did you let the silicone cure? My guess is that you did not give it long enough and that is what your issue was. Once silicone is cured it is completely inert, whether it has mold inhibitors or not. So GE II is safe, if and only if you let it cure long enough, which most people dont. You should be giving a 1/4" bead of silicone of any kind at least two weeks to fully cure.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You're a braver man than I, with your used plywood tank.

But hey, if you can leak test it and everything checks out you should be good!

I'll be following along

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
How long did you let the silicone cure? My guess is that you did not give it long enough and that is what your issue was. Once silicone is cured it is completely inert, whether it has mold inhibitors or not. So GE II is safe, if and only if you let it cure long enough, which most people dont. You should be giving a 1/4" bead of silicone of any kind at least two weeks to fully cure.

Ive never filled a tank i resealed quicker than 2-3weeks cure time even in my early yrs. Its common knowledge ge2 with mold inhibitors is bad news for fish. Cure time is bogus anyway as a tank would most likely fail if it wasent cured properly...plenty more threads on here about ge2 mold inhibitors being unsafe. Y chance it for $20 or less to redo the window when the stock list probably outweighs that price?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Just because it is common knowledge does not mean that is is correct. There is a lot of "common knowledge" around here that is dead wrong. And if not fully cured it may fail, it may not, lot of factors besides it being fully cured.

That all said, I think it is stupid to use GE I or II for anything aquarium building related. I completely agree on your statement, why chance it with cheap and crappy silicone? Buy the good stuff and do it right the first time. RTV 103 or 108 will hold properly, there is no risk of toxins and it really isn't that much more expensive. When you have hundreds of dollars of fish what is another $5/tube of silicone?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Just because it is common knowledge does not mean that is is correct. There is a lot of "common knowledge" around here that is dead wrong. And if not fully cured it may fail, it may not, lot of factors besides it being fully cured.

That all said, I think it is stupid to use GE I or II for anything aquarium building related. I completely agree on your statement, why chance it with cheap and crappy silicone? Buy the good stuff and do it right the first time. RTV 103 or 108 will hold properly, there is no risk of toxins and it really isn't that much more expensive. When you have hundreds of dollars of fish what is another $5/tube of silicone?
Were on the same page, i like your logic....easy to spot a seasond mfk just from a few statements lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store