I want to get a smaller sized gar. Suggestions?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I wouldn't keep any gar in that set-up.. imo.. floridas are to darn passive to stand up.. and anything else is going to eat/kill tank-mates or be killed by the Jar when it hits 12"+ haven't kept a shorty... but I was able to find Cubans and tropical before shortys..

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
florida will be your best bet, they tend to max out ~20+", but mix with a jardini is a bad idea, jars tend to be aggressive and gar, skittish.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
florida will be your best bet, they tend to max out ~20+", but mix with a jardini is a bad idea, jars tend to be aggressive and gar, skittish.
Luckily no aggression yet. But like I said. I'm prepared for it. I have a back up tank just for the jardini. But currently no issues the the jardini. Thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I would disagree with short nose staying the smallest.

Florida gar is what your looking for. Arguably the best looking gar as well.

giovannitendean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Jakarta, Idonesia
Florida Gar for the best choice, but when the Jardini gets bigger, you must separate Jardini into own tank, or you will watch the other die by the bite of Jardini. I don't know if Jardini will go along if it is placed with the other since juvenile,some people said that(also ruled with other aggresive fishes)

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Florida Gar for the best choice, but when the Jardini gets bigger, you must separate Jardini into own tank, or you will watch the other die by the bite of Jardini. I don't know if Jardini will go along if it is placed with the other since juvenile,some people said that(also ruled with other aggresive fishes)
Jardinis are extremely elegant and gentle. Until they hit about 7 inches lol. They may snap. Mine is still ok though. Surprisingly

giovannitendean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Jakarta, Idonesia
Jardinis are extremely elegant and gentle. Until they hit about 7 inches lol. They may snap. Mine is still ok though. Surprisingly

yeah though Jardinis are not the most expensive, they have the most strong and elegant scales, and artistic dorsal too. In Indonesia here, only Jardini and black arowana that still can't be cultivated(captive breeding),it makes them special.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Jadini isn't always agressive. Mine was 22" and lived with discus and many other non agressive fish. The only agression it had was to my fingers when I fed it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store