I would like to get a gar.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
dsmith1000 said:
Hello folks, first post. :)

I've got a longnose gar that's rapidly growing out of my tank. I caught him when he was about 2 inches long, but he's upward of 7 inches now, and in a 44 gallon. So he's going back to the river soon. But if a fellow fish keeper in Georgia will give him a good home I'd be happy to let that fish keeper take him off my hands. Just let me know. :)
NEVER realease a fish that's been kept in a home tank back into the wild, it can release pathogens and decimate it's ecosystem. I know that you don't want to intentionally do this, so I needed to let you know. That being said, I have a contact in GA that has a couple of gars and I think he would be willing to take it. Or, if you can find somewhere that would ship him, I would take him for sure. :)

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
evilfish said:
gars are not docile or passive at all!! my long nose is crazed and angry nd eats rats!!!
Any gars that I have are pretty passive (I have 7 right now, including 4 longnoses), and even large ones like yours typically are. If he truly is that aggressive (and just because he eats rats dosn't mean he's at all aggressive), then it would be an exception to their normal behavior. But, generally gars are pretty peaceful... still, I don't doubt that you have an aggressive one. :)

dsmith1000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2005
Middle Georgia
BGG said:
NEVER realease a fish that's been kept in a home tank back into the wild, it can release pathogens and decimate it's ecosystem. I know that you don't want to intentionally do this, so I needed to let you know. That being said, I have a contact in GA that has a couple of gars and I think he would be willing to take it. Or, if you can find somewhere that would ship him, I would take him for sure. :)
I've never kept anything but locally caught wild fish in my tank. The only store bought fish ever in it are fishing shiners, which would have wound up in the local rivers and lakes anyway. Is there still a chance of my released gar carrying a decimating disease out of the tank?

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yes. Any fish kept in aquariums for any amount of time, no matter where's it's from, that is released can and likely will be detrimental to the ecosystem that it has been released into.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store