Ick and arowana...

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
I had a feeding issue with my 6" silver aro, since his diet was limited to krill at the time I bought 2 feeders at my lfs and now I have the wonderful privilege of battling Ick. I noticed it yesterday, and I have beat Ich before with the salt and heat method but that was with 10 dollar oscars, not 75 dollar aro's. I have added 1 table spoon and raised the heat a few degrees, but It seems that the spots are increasing in numbers and definately growing larger. I have two questions.

1.) Are Silver Arowana's tollerant of salt, and if so how much is safe?
2.) How high of a temp can a stressed Silver Arowana tollerate?

I Know that malachite green is not the greatest option but I have used this before as well. It worked but my tank did suffer a mini cycle. If the heat and temp dont do the trick will my silver tollerate this treatment?

Thanks guys your experience and time are always valued.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
i keep my tank at or around 82 to 87. i use salt everytime i do a water change. IME..i use 1 tablespoon to every 5gal.

robkob

Candiru
MFK Member
May 28, 2005
lost
I add 1 cup per 100 gallons with every water change. Rid Ich works well for me - just follow the instructions and you'll probably be ok.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Best of luck with this baby.... i hope you get answers quick.... :nilly::nilly:

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I thought you would have some answers by now.... :nilly::nilly:maybe give Bderick 67 {Brian} a pm, he knows all about treating ick with arows... The salt, heat and extremely clean water is what he would reccommend ..no medicines...

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
I decided I'd go another 48 hours with a few more degree's (up to 84 now) and gonna bump it another degree in the morning and ride like that for two days... The suspense is killing me.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
alleykat0498;2268360; said:
I decided I'd go another 48 hours with a few more degree's (up to 84 now) and gonna bump it another degree in the morning and ride like that for two days... The suspense is killing me.
thats good..but contact Brian too.. he can tell you more precisely how much salt and what to expect... but i think this is the best... up temp.. is good..

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
Thanks for the tip on contacting brian. I sent him a highly detailed pm stating all the facts. Since I got rid of the less dominant fish he is all over the tank and he's eating more ravenous than ever before. pretty much still prepping the krill in the same amount as I was when there were two of em, just got some stupid lil spots. I did speak with the gentleman that purchased the other fish today, and his reports on that fish are good as well. So I think I'll stick with what I've got going for now and try to relax a little, man this hobby is addictive. Probably oughta go wash some dishes or somethin:ROFL:. Thanks again.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
alleykat0498;2268499; said:
Thanks for the tip on contacting brian. I sent him a highly detailed pm stating all the facts. Since I got rid of the less dominant fish he is all over the tank and he's eating more ravenous than ever before. pretty much still prepping the krill in the same amount as I was when there were two of em, just got some stupid lil spots. I did speak with the gentleman that purchased the other fish today, and his reports on that fish are good as well. So I think I'll stick with what I've got going for now and try to relax a little, man this hobby is addictive. Probably oughta go wash some dishes or somethin:ROFL:. Thanks again.
haha.. lol nerve wracking sometimes.. i spent hours today watching my baby paints {turtles} in their new tank swimming .. finding their way to the floating dock..just worried that they would get stuck on something and drown.. they all do this to me..i think as long as he is eating things are going to be okay.... you started salt and heat right away... yes go wash some dishes..have a little desert...relax...

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
alleykat0498;2267441; said:
but It seems that the spots are increasing in numbers and definately growing larger.
You should expect this to happen. Increased heat also increases speed of lifecycle thereby reproducing more parasites.

1.) Are Silver Arowana's tollerant of salt, and if so how much is safe?
I used a tablespoon per 5g as well. Aros will tolerate salt temporarily. Treatment must be done for 14 days minimum to make sure all parasites are eradicated.

2.) How high of a temp can a stressed Silver Arowana tollerate?
30 degrees Celsius should be sufficient enough.

I Know that malachite green is not the greatest option but I have used this before as well. It worked but my tank did suffer a mini cycle. If the heat and temp dont do the trick will my silver tollerate this treatment?
Meds are usually your last resort. Malachite green will be fine but it does also kill the beneficial bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle so you will need to watch your water parameters regularly as arowanas are prone to cloudy eyes when water quality deteriorates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store