ICK ON MY GULPER

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
On straight heat, I have usually seen 86F+, although 87-90F is what I've used.

86F is the temp studies have found will kill ich using just heat, but I like to err a bit in case there is a cool spot in the tank or the thermostat is off. Add aearation and watch the fish behavior as oxygen levels will go down. If you see lots of gill movement or it staying at the surface it may not be handling the temps well or the aeration is inadequate.

Do not add medicines at that temperature level as it may be too much for the fish.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
On straight heat, I have usually seen 86F+, although 87-90F is what I've used.

86F is the temp studies have found will kill ich using just heat, but I like to err a bit in case there is a cool spot in the tank or the thermostat is off. Add aearation and watch the fish behavior as oxygen levels will go down. If you see lots of gill movement or it staying at the surface it may not be handling the temps well or the aeration is inadequate.

Do not add medicines at that temperature level as it may be too much for the fish.
+1 only thing id add is the heat doesnt "kill" the ich but speed up its life and keep it from reproducing so you will want to keep the temp up until the ich goes through its life cycle and dies off which can be a few days.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
+1 only thing id add is the heat doesnt "kill" the ich but speed up its life and keep it from reproducing so you will want to keep the temp up until the ich goes through its life cycle and dies off which can be a few days.
+1

thanks for the clarification.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Heat and I just got ich in my 75 the other day, I've been treating with Salt and Metronidazole and it's almost gone now. The meds however were for an internal parasite that was also going around so I wouldn't use that if it's just ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store