ID Challenge - Mysteryfish

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
A friend of mine recently picked up two fish, they were in a LFS and came with Vieja Maculicauda when they were imported. They clearly aren't blackbelts. But my question is, what do you reckon they are?
First I thought some Vieja hybrid, possibly. Then another friend said they look more Herichthys, which I think is an even closer guess.
The horizontal bars could be from Herichthys, but could also be mayan/festae.
Possibly Carpinte x Deppi? Or maybe Carpinte x Mayan?

I do not own these photographs.

blendingar1.jpg

blendingar2.jpg

blendingar3.jpg

blendingar4.jpg

blendingar5.jpg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Look awesome

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Yeah they look pretty rad. Any more inputs?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Yeah they look pretty rad. Any more inputs?
I think the reason why many people didn't reply was because they don't know. Its hard to figure it out without knowing the lineage on the fish. Parents could be hybrid themselves so its almost impossible to pin point what these are. Tell your buddy to enjoy them and give you one lol

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I think the reason why many people didn't reply was because they don't know. Its hard to figure it out without knowing the lineage on the fish. Parents could be hybrid themselves so its almost impossible to pin point what these are. Tell your buddy to enjoy them and give you one lol
I figured that much. But yeah lovely hybrids, I don't keep any hybrids myself, and don't plan to, as of yet. But I can't wait to see pics of them when they've grown to adults.

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Very cool. Whatever they are. Look like they have a lot of Texas in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store