ID Free Floating Wiggling White Worm (Video)

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Anyone have any idea what this is? I just want to make sure it's not harmful to my fish. There are a few of them in my tank and they are anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" long. My fish aren't scratching or anything (they seem to be healthy). Any info on these wiggling creatures would be much appreciated. I'm thinking they are some type of Planaria, but the pictures I've seen of Planaria look nothing like this. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qA_eljza4

FISH4LIFE

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2007
Saturns 2nd Ring
i would also like to know this

CHUPA CABRA

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
Lawrence MA
try planaria worms, they are harmless
i had them in one of my tanks
cut down on the feeding (once a day) and do frequent water changes (twice a week till they are gone, then once a week) you could buy feeders (baby guppys) they will eat them to

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
msjinkzd;2661363; said:
Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff. I think it's some form of detritus feeding (non-parasitic) worm, but I'm still not sure.

CHUPA CABRA;2662342; said:
try planaria worms, they are harmless
i had them in one of my tanks
cut down on the feeding (once a day) and do frequent water changes (twice a week till they are gone, then once a week) you could buy feeders (baby guppys) they will eat them to
Thanks for the tips. I will cut down on the feedings and keep up with the water changes. Guppys aren't really an option since I have a 16" arowana that would probably eat them before they are able to get to any of the worms. Below is a pic of Teddy, my Silver Arowana.DSC03897.JPG

2004exrider;2662274; said:
If your fish look and act healthy, and their poop is normal color (not white/clear) it is probably a sort of round worm that lives in your substrate and acts as a cleanup crew. Have you introduced any new fish or plants by chance?

Jimmy
All my fish seem very healthy. Appetites are good, their feces looks normal to me and I've never seen them scratch themselves on rocks or anything weird like that. I threw some gravel into this tank from an established tank to help with the cycling process and I think these worms came in with that gravel. I have seen these worms in my established tank and they seem to live in the gravel. I notice the worms swimming around after I stir up the gravel; if I don't mess with the gravel, I don't see them floating around. Like I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure it's some sort of detritus feeding worm and I don't have anything to really worry about, but I was hoping someone could give me a positive ID.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store