id gar fry....i found me some!

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
cool im waiting on a update, i wanna see the long term progress on these guys.

RedDwarf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Where the Sun is Warm
I'm going to have to go with shortnose gar. The nose on these guys seem a bit long compared to the longnose I have kept in the past (at around that size). Best of luck with them. You might also want to try bloodworms or mosquito larvae.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
It might be easier to tell with a side-shot of them suspended in water. All their fins are hidden and the pattern is difficult to see with them in your hands. I want to say LNG or SNG, but it's a guess at this point.

Great find, though. And good thing you didn't pee on them.
thanks, i don't have a open tank to get that pic yet. i just have them in the styro box to warm up. i am going to get a sponge filter and a 10gal today, i'll also get a breeder box.

i can do gar breed? or get in natural?
natural collection

x2.

Get the smallest ones separate from the larger ones so that they don't become food for the others; the larger ones can definitely take down small guppies at that size while the smaller ones will need baby guppies & smaller prey.

Regardless of what they are, I'll take two or four of them if you decide to sell any. :D
i put the 3 smallest one in a tupperware container floating inside the box so they didn't get eaten just after the pic. i took those pics just after i dumped them out of the bag(i just got home from fishin at that time) i'll be posting a pic once i get them into the tank i am getting today. like i said above i'll also be getting a breeder box or more then one for the smallest gar to go in. i have sent out word to all my lfs hook ups to see if they have molly or guppy fry i could get and i am going to the one i couldnt text today to see what they got and pick up the tanks. i hope i can find glass worms because they would be perfict. i wish i could get mosquito larva but cant sell them so glass worms is as close as it gets.

damn, I need to get out of my laziness and go catch me some babies gar! where did you find them?
in the flooding waters of the banks of the st. crouix river. just off the main current but still on the main river. they were actually on the top of the sidewalk that was covered in 5" of water. that is the same spot i get smallmouth fry from and those were every were. so it was like finding needles among needles. the first two took a breath as i seen them an confirmed my suspicions they were far from smallie fry in that cluster of smallie fry and minnows. on the edge of my light when i first seen them it was not easy to see them, looked like little sticks(seen to many of those and every one of those i got excited for.

Those are deffinately not Alligator o Florida Gar. I am positive they are longnose.
we will see, lng is one of the 3 possible gars they could be. in this area there is lng, sng, sngxlng.

Is that the water you peed in? :ROFL:
no, this river is heavy in iron. very very heavy in iron, to the point i think a compass wouldn't work right on it.....i did pee in it, but down stream from were i was, i wasn't about to continue my search in pee water....look out redwing and new orleans!

What a great find!!! I wouldn't mind getting some, too, if you decide to sell any. X2 on guppies and guppy fry.
thanks

cool im waiting on a update, i wanna see the long term progress on these guys.
i'll keep updating them for sure.

I'm going to have to go with shortnose gar. The nose on these guys seem a bit long compared to the longnose I have kept in the past (at around that size). Best of luck with them. You might also want to try bloodworms or mosquito larvae.
i hope they are sng, but my gut says lng. it would be my luck. with the yet to be determine sng i have these being sng would be better for my collection. i have 2 lng already. if they are lng i could try to breed them in my future ponds. either way i am cool with it they are my first gar i have caught and my second 100% confirmed gars in the wild, at least first hand confirmation.

to all those that want some, i dont know if i am going to sell any yet. if i find more tonight i may sell some, but i don't know on that either. i know for sure if i can find some larger juvis later on this summer i'll be selling them(the later caught ones) for sure. my first ones of anything always mean a little more then anything else to me.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I'm leaning towards them being shortnose gars by the way.
i am hoping they are, but with my luck i don't know.

i moved them into the 10gal and got a breeder box for the smaller 3. the smallest is 1" and the biggest is 2.25" i had a tape out when i made the switch. i got some in tank shots, but they aren't that good since all i have is a camera phone.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
those snouts seem long, but they're broad!

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
mine do seem to have a wider snout, but they look close. do we know of any sng fry pics out there? i am loading a vid of them now, it isn't very clear, but you can see some. i also put my finger next to one of the little ones for size reference.

i got some better pics and some top view aswell. loading them up now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store