ID these Perches

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
2nd pic is mine, got it as a Royal Congo perch, imported from US(Toyin)
1st pic is from another hobbyist, who got it as a Nile Perch.
Just wondering, if there are real diff btw them?
Hao told me that the only diff between them is that royals tends to keep their crazy patterns as they grow up. When regular nile perches will have a silver-ish color. They both grow up to +6'. Only Lates microlepis (i forgot how to spell it :D) will get up to 3' max.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
...and more imortantly,are they two different species with their own Latin names?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's fine but at least we would know for certain that there actually are two different species,in this case anyhow.The way things are it's almost like paying more for an indo dat because it has three stripes as opposed to others that have four stripes.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I don't think they're different specie, its like a "royal" delhezi to a regular delhezi (bichir), they just give them those names because they look better then normal, which IMO The second one does look better then the first, a darker more contrasted pattern

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's a good example.I don't currently keep any bichirs in my stable but if I did the Delhezi would be my top choice and preferably one with as close to symmetrical markings as possible as opposed to one with random markings.Ive seen tanks full of dels and none of them had those nice patterns so I suspect the better looking ones are picked out and removed before the lot is shipped.That is probably how it is done with the so called Royal Nile perch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store