ID this 10" pseuda sp

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
WyldFya;559911; said:
That looks like an acanthicus histrix. Note the lack of adipose fin, this is a characteristic found only in species belonging to the acanthicus genus.
i know what an acanthicus hystrix looks like... and the pic i posted is a pseudacanthicus hystrix.

if you refuse to believe it i can't help you.

since you havent seen one how do you know it isn't?

MORE pics to drive my point home... the p.hystrix has a unique body shape among all the pseudas... easily recognizable at once...

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
WyldFya;560804; said:
Acanthicus is 9 or less or less than 9? I thought they could have 8 spines. The one problem with the picture from IoStrisciare is the coloration, which looks to be more of adult colorations of an adonis, rather than either p. histrix, or a. hystrix.
pseudacanthicus hystrix in stress will fade in color... in some cases turning from dark grey to light blue and white.

the markings you see are due to the fading of color.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
davo;560710; said:
yea that is correct wyldfya. but to me it looks like the pleco posted by aapl has an adipose fin?!?!?
which counts the hystrix out.
p.hystrix does have an adipose fin....

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I never said that I refuse to believe you. I was just stating that it "looked" like an acanthicus because it doesn't look like it has an adipose fin.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
WyldFya;561180; said:
I never said that I refuse to believe you. I was just stating that it "looked" like an acanthicus because it doesn't look like it has an adipose fin.
anyway if you notice about the body structure i was mentioning about...

its much slimmer and streamlined in shape from other pseudas. And the tail is different.

plus this species tends to sprout very long tail whips compared to other pseudas.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i still think the tail end of the unidentified fish doesnt look like pseudacanthicus histrix. as you seem knowledgable on pseuda's IoStrisciare, what do you think the unidentified is? at first i was sure it was the L320, but everytime i look at it, my mind changes

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
IoStrisciare;561169; said:
since you havent seen one how do you know it isn't?
I have seen a live specimen of what was called p. histrix, but never have I seen a verified photo, or live specimen.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
davo;561190; said:
i still think the tail end of the unidentified fish doesnt look like pseudacanthicus histrix. as you seem knowledgable on pseuda's IoStrisciare, what do you think the unidentified is? at first i was sure it was the L320, but everytime i look at it, my mind changes
i cant ID the pseuda either... it doesnt really fit in L320....

it isn't surprising as there was a batch like this that was labelled as L343 but entirely jet black save for some slight markings on the finnages.

frankly speaking... it could just be a hybrid since cross breeding in the river is alwasy possible.

Even the exporter can't give a 100% positive ID on this guy.

They just see what it looks like to be the closest and tag the number to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store