ID this catfish

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hi all,

found this at my local fish store looks to be a species of whip tail catfish. Wondering what species and any info regarding care, size, etc.

Thanks!

77FE75E2-B9D0-4D34-A179-D5421A59176A.jpeg

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Pseudohemiodon apithanos
I don't think so. The body is not broad enough and though I know their colour pattern can be quite divers I have never seen one with two black stripes from the snout to the eyes. Also the eyes should be closer together in relation to broadnes of the head.

I think it is some kind of Loricaria. May be Loricaria sp. Colombia or L. simillima.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
I don't think so. The body is not broad enough and though I know their colour pattern can be quite divers I have never seen one with two black stripes from the snout to the eyes. Also the eyes should be closer together in relation to broadnes of the head.

I think it is some kind of Loricaria. May be Loricaria sp. Colombia or L. simillima.
Agree with Loricaria spp. Not too sure if it's similima, but it certainly could be an oddly-colored one. Definitely not P. apithanos for the reasons you listed.

Reactions: Milingu

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017

Thanks for this. Hmmm. The lfs was super vague calling it a Loricaria species so that actually makes sense. I literally have no experience or knowledge on these species. Very interesting looking fish to say the least :).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What are those cats in the back,are they iridescent sharks?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal

Perhaps you’re right…I didn’t notice that it had two black stripes over the eyes.

i was thinking it looks like these Pseudohemiodon aff. apithanos

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store