I'd this fish please

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Tough to say without a good look at the lips, or a closed mouth to see the slope of the forehead. How big is it? It can be difficult to discern between the two until they're 6 or 7 inches. Since both species are considered to be established in the same waters, there could potentially be a lot of hybrids. Many of the ones you see in the aquarium trade are.

So I guess the question is does it fit either of these descriptions, or was it shaped like any of these pictures?
http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/fish/90-red-devil-midas-cichlid.html

Unfortunately the color tells us nothing in terms of discerning between the 2 species. I know that originally people thought that red devils inhabited the waters near me in Florida, but they were later determined to be midas cichlids. But OP, you're the only one who saw it so you're probably the only one that can give us an answer!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Tough to say without a good look at the lips, or a closed mouth to see the slope of the forehead. How big is it? It can be difficult to discern between the two until they're 6 or 7 inches. Since both species are considered to be established in the same waters, there could potentially be a lot of hybrids. Many of the ones you see in the aquarium trade are.

So I guess the question is does it fit either of these descriptions, or was it shaped like any of these pictures?

Unfortunately the color tells us nothing in terms of discerning between the 2 species. I know that originally people thought that red devils inhabited the waters near me in Florida, but they were later determined to be midas cichlids. But OP, you're the only one who saw it so you're probably the only one that can give us an answer!
It is a 100% red devil.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
care to explain why? we have already determined that midas have been there 11 years longer than the devils. And since they are in the same waters, how do you know that the population hasn't hybridized to a nearly indistinguishable degree? Have any geneticists checked in recent years? I wouldn't just go by what locals refer to it as since most people have trouble telling which is which and frankly, unless they're interested in aquarium fish, most people don't care.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
care to explain why? we have already determined that midas have been there 11 years longer than the devils. And since they are in the same waters, how do you know that the population hasn't hybridized to a nearly indistinguishable degree? Have any geneticists checked in recent years? I wouldn't just go by what locals refer to it as since most people have trouble telling which is which and frankly, unless they're interested in aquarium fish, most people don't care.
and there's no proof that Midas are breeding in Hawaii and there hasn't any recent reports of midas being caught by the fishermen but plenty of red devils. This fish in question have elongated jaws and much slender. This fish resemble red devil strongly more than midas.

scjustin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2010
Anthony, Nm
I guess I'm a noob lol I didnt even know there was a difference between Midas and red devil. I wish I had seen it. Unfortunately I just saw the same picture as I posted. But it's pretty anyway. Thanx for info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PwNz I R COLE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2012
Mt.Laurel NJ

There all hybrids over in hawaii and in Florida I highly doubt there is any pure midas or Red Devils in either location the dark red color is a wild adaptation to protect them from uv rays u can't tell the genetics of a fish by its shape sadly

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I recall reading somewhere (sadly didn't bookmark the article) that the large lips of wild caught A. labiatus are due to their feeding technique in habitat, and even F1 offspring from big-lipped wild parents have much smaller lips when raised in aquaria and fed "normally", so I'm not sure if I'd even rely on the size of the lips as a particularly reliable way of IDing the two species.

IMO, with a pic/fish like this "Amphilophus Sp." is about as good of an ID as you can get. Given the confusion and blurred lines between the various species of the 'Red Devil Complex' that even those who classify and describe the species are sometimes unsure of, I doubt anyone here is qualified to give a firm identification of species based on the shape alone from one blurry picture.

mind you, I didn't see one mention of an actual Latin species name anywhere in this thread... :lipsseale

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
There all hybrids over in hawaii and in Florida I highly doubt there is any pure midas or Red Devils in either location the dark red color is a wild adaptation to protect them from uv rays u can't tell the genetics of a fish by its shape sadly

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store