ID THIS SHARK CATFISH

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can't accurately answer that question but they should be fine as long there is plenty of space and one cannot eat the other.I have never kept them together and the paroons I have had were always peaceful.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Ah yes,I just saw that.Is that a recent reclassification or has it always been that way?
Not sure. I thought not that old but this may be it:
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Pangasianodon-gigas.html :
Roberts, T.R. and C. Vidthayanon, 1991. Systematic revision of the Asian catfish family Pangasiidae, with biological observations and descriptions of three new species. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Philad. 143:97-144. (Ref. 7432)

This is the main current ref. for both gigas and IDS.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can't accurately answer that question but they should be fine as long there is plenty of space and one cannot eat the other.I have never kept them together and the paroons I have had were always peaceful.
Yes, some say so, even TL does too but then, even TL admits his paroon is an exception. Normally, they are voracious, all-out free-swimming predators with almost no boundaries as to what they consider a prey, kind of like NA blue catfish. If anything even remotely fits in their mouth, I'd say it is a gamble. It may pay off or may not.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
ok guys thanks. so ive been wondering whats the main difference between both of these sharks.
***Kind of the same difference as between a lamb and a wolf, the lamb describes well an IDS or what you call blueline. The wolf describes well the paroon = high-fin = naja.

...because the last time i kept them together the naja ate the blueline.
***Not surprised. Paroons have a deceivingly large mouth and are able to tear prey to pieces or of gradual / stepwise digestion (swallow some, digest it, stomach frees, swallow more, digest, and so on).

...but why arent both of them compatible with each other.
***They are different fish, although related. Chuachua and a grey wolf are relatives too but they are not compatible. Neither is a house cat and a bobcat.

this guy killed my common shark although they were of the same size
***I'm a bit surprised but not too much. I bet it was the stepwise digestion thing.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
ill post the pictures soon of what catfish i buy because its unkonwn to me the guy from the fish store says that it looks like a tigershovelnose long face but white now hte problem is i have never kept any catfish like that before any ideas what it could be and this fish is unkonwn to me, would a chocolate frog mouth catfish work or no
TSN and a paroon might be compatible as adults but I'd still worry a bit. Frogmouth is a snack for paroon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Stepwise...interesting process.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Pretty common among large cats. Or maybe I should word it: not that rare at all. One bad outcome - choking on your prey.

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
TSN and a paroon might be compatible as adults but I'd still worry a bit. Frogmouth is a snack for paroon.
the frog mouth might be a treat but what if i buy them when all of them are small but when the paroon shark starts to get bigger ill sell it.but guys i hope none of these fish hurt the koi. im thinking i should get koi that is bigger then the other fish, for example 10 inch koi, along 4 inch paroon sharks and arowanas along with plecos and silver dollars. i like the combination but i dont want anything to nip my kois fins.
so do u think this will work

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
the frog mouth might be a treat but what if i buy them when all of them are small but when the paroon shark starts to get bigger ill sell it.but guys i hope none of these fish hurt the koi. im thinking i should get koi that is bigger then the other fish, for example 10 inch koi, along 4 inch paroon sharks and arowanas along with plecos and silver dollars. i like the combination but i dont want anything to nip my kois fins.
so do u think this will work
Kind of a wild mix of Asian and SA fish. No, I don't think it will be trouble-free. Silver dollars, as all piranhas will (almost) always nip and chase koi and other cyprinids IME.

Koi grow VERY slowly. Catfish, very quickly. You will reach imbalance fast.

Arowanas are moody and can bite koi too. Are we talking SA aros?

Most of these are on paroon's menu, including aros. It will still attempt to swallow some and if it can't, it may choke and die.

TSN grows very fast, should be 1.5' or more in one year. An outright predator too. Will try to eat anything that fits in its deceptive, collapsible mouth (fake flat mouth = pseudo platy stoma).

Frogmouth is also big on swallowing even such fish that it amazes keepers.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So Mustafa,what size tank or pond are you working with for these fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store