Idea for a Very Large Reef Tank

beechdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Minnesota
Hi I am new to the forums but i wanted to see if anyone has ever built a tank like this. Now i am Just in the planning stages of this, then begins the long road of acquiring the funds to make this project happen. But the tanks dimensions are 8' long, 3' deep, and 5' tall, but then there will be another section that is an additional 8' long, 3' deep and 2' tall. The total gallons in the display tank alone would be roughly 1250 gallons. I want to achieve a "drop off reef." This is the idea that i came up with on google sketchup today. I can try to make the picture bigger but I am unware of how to do that at this point. Any feedback would be appreciated.
design.jpg

design.jpg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Very possible and a cool idea, very natural. Ive seen a tank exactly like this locally as a store display. Basically just need two different stand heights. The one i saw was maybe 200-250 gal. May be a waste of material $$ with the giant side pieces and cut outs but ur reef idea may be worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

beechdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Minnesota
also how thick would the glass or the acrylic have to be on a project like this, I was figuring around 2.5" is that wrong or no?

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Not sure on thickness but it can be done, at work my boss has built something like this but more like the base of a H, that is it had 2 sections dropping one each side and the middle area was lifted, he also said never again though lol.

you could put your filters etc under the middle section also!

Just a ruff idea but I think for glass thickness you would be looking around 20mm/25mm + , 3ft is normally 15mm and 4ft is around 18-20mm from memory.

Only down side I see is how will you clean the deep end? pending you have live rock etc there getting around it all at such a depth would be a challenge imo.

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
You realize you will need a pump and filter room as big as that entire bar/aquarium behind it too right ?

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Hhhrtmmmmmmm.

Guesses on total price? If you hire a company id guess $50,000 - $75,000. if you do most if the work yourself id guess about half that.

If you have the money and the space it'd sure be awesome.

Do you have experience keeping a reef aquarium? I really hope you've had a smaller one for years, if not I see a $5000 coral die off in your future.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store