ideal setup for crawdaddy

cakemountain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
ohio
just snatched a couple common crayfish from the goldfish vat and set up a 10gal for them. put a powerfilter on the side and a submersible heater in there and let sit overnight after a stresscoat ap. tank is 90% filled.

ive read they need a cave, but if i give them one will i ever see them besides feeding time? right now there tank mates are 5 goldfish i was obligated to buy for taking the cf.

do i need anything else?

cakemountain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
ohio
so i used 4 pieces of slate to make 2 pretty good caves in the gravel. they crawled inside them and now they are running around. the tank is my night light so i hope they can deal with it. during the day ill turn it off.

suepahfly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2007
Honor, MI
I have a very weak light that is meant for a nightlight. I leave it on 24/7, and you can't even tell it is on when it's light out. When it is dark, it illuminates the tank with just enough orangish light to see my crayfish. It works quite well.

cakemountain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
ohio
they dont seem to like the cave in the gravel even though its more than big enough for them and doesnt have a huge opening. do they only like caves above ground level? im up every couple hours at night so i need a continuous light to move around in.

anyway 1 is down. good thing i went with cheapos to start with and not the 15 dollar special color ones. dunno what killed it, guess ill toss the goldfishies since my aro isnt interested. maybe they were picking on them. the cf are bigger though.

question: should i pull the dead one out or let the other one eat it?
question: what kind of aeration do they req?

ewo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
White Settlement, Texas
pull the other one out after a while they will stink. and i just use a regular airator with a stone when i catch them. we live in front of a creek so thats where alot of my feeder fish come in from.

TeChris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
Orlando, FL
Hello, just wanted too show you my crayfish tank. Its pretty simple and plain but I think my crayfish like it. My regular female dug a little cave for her self under one of the rocks and the male blue crayfish usually hangs around next to one of the rocks. The rocks are "pagoda" rocks I got from a lfs. Enjoy

Buger and Blue 005.jpg

Buger and Blue 014.jpg

Buger and Blue 015.jpg

Buger and Blue 024.jpg

Jess.in.WI

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Abrams, WI
here's my setup. My cray is a cherax quad named Ruby.

you could give your cray a length of pvc pipe to hide in... or a clay pot tipped on its side. I change things around in this tank; a few days ago I put a plastic rock ledge in the tank... but now today I'm going to give her a pile of actual rocks to explore. Crays can and will move anything that they can lift! So be careful not to stack anything too heavy that could possibly fall and hurt them! Enjoy, crays are lots of fun!

Geordie John

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
North East England
hi Cakemountain was your crayfish dead or casting. They usualy moult when moved to different conditions. If it shed its skin the skin needs to be left in and feeding reduced to encourage the skin to be eaten.This encourages hardening of the new shell and supplements calcium.
as ewo said they stink when dead !
They will drown if not given enougth oxygen.
All the best,
G.John

cakemountain

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
ohio
ya the first one prob died because not enough O2, added an airstone. now the second one is dead halfway through a moult. try try again i guess

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store