Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Been thinking of trying an amphilophus tank. Currently have 3 hoga at about 5" that are being raised out. They were little jerks when first put in the tank but have settled down now. Looking to maybe keep just one of these and add some 'midevil' mutts or other amphs.

Tank has some current occupants but really only 3 large bichir are probably keepers. The tank itself is a 24" x 8' 300g filtered with 3 FX6's.

So any suggestions for an amphilophus tank?
Some general things things that Ive heard to have some success are to do an all male tank.
Also raise fish out together from small size. How many amphs would you try total?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe that Buddy's sbgbuddy sbgbuddy all male amph tank is 300 gallons. This is the members set up that I would be checking out.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I believe that Buddy's sbgbuddy sbgbuddy all male amph tank is 300 gallons. This is the members set up that I would be checking out.

Thanks RD! Will check out his posts

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So this is an old picture of my tank. The big Pearsei, and het both aged out and passed away from old age. It looks pretty empty now. So its an 8' long, 24" wide, 30" tall, 300 gallon tank.

300g.jpg
Looking at what sbgbuddy sbgbuddy has going looks to have 7 big amphs in his tank, I was thinking of doing five...

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Looks good, although I don't know how well the bichirs would fair in an amph tank?
Ive seen it done before with full grown amphs. The small guys seem to be the worst. The Hogas were nippy at first on the bichirs tails. They have settled in and ignore them now, everything seems okay.

sbgbuddy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Riverview MI
The main thing is it has to be some what over stocked. But you having bichirs and bala sharks. I have no ideal if you using them to help crowd the tank will work. I’ve got much more then 7. At the moment more like 15 and my tank is a little bigger 375 gal. It could work but it’s always a gamble. Plus you have to do a lot of big water changes.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thanks sbgbuddy sbgbuddy for that info. Im not sure I want to overstock that much. I was hoping to do maybe 5 amphs max... unless some other cool amphs become available. Currently on the hunt for some decent Midas

Reactions: sbgbuddy

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Fish farm USA on aquabid has F1 lake Nicaragua midas for sale. I bought 6 maybe 6 months ago and they are amazing fish. Thick and chunky, short blunt snouts and big heads. Many of his fish are from unrelated wild pairs. Mine ended up being a very nice grab bag. I got a barred male/female breeding pair, a super fast growing orange male, a second male that is all orange with black tipped fins and a pie bald female. I lost the smallest one early on before it had a chance to mature.

Reactions: DMD123 and RD.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Fish farm USA on aquabid has F1 lake Nicaragua midas for sale. I bought 6 maybe 6 months ago and they are amazing fish. Thick and chunky, short blunt snouts and big heads. Many of his fish are from unrelated wild pairs. Mine ended up being a very nice grab bag. I got a barred male/female breeding pair, a super fast growing orange male, a second male that is all orange with black tipped fins and a pie bald female. I lost the smallest one early on before it had a chance to mature.
Yeah, I had seen those and were wondering what exactly they were like. Thanks for the feedback! Any pics of them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store