Identify my gar and give some comment on my tank setup and tank mates, thanks.

estubbaly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
the first gar is a true gator gar...grows to 10 feet....second gar is a florida gar usually grows to about 2 feet...the redtail cat can get over 5 feet and weigh over 100 lbs....i also see a peacock bass...they can get to almost 3 feet in the wild(depending on which species)...not likely to get that big in an aquarium...you seem to like all the big guys...get a big tank...at their current sizes you have a few months...after that they will start to die on you from not being given proper housing...good luck you have some great stuff there!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
theres more than one backin me idiot!!!
Don't insult other members. There's one.

DEFINENTLY NOT A ALLIGATOR GAR WATCH SOME MORE RIVER MONSTERS NOT A GATOR GAR QUIT THROWIN THE TERM AROUND AND DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it is a gator gar. Do some research.

Wait... did you really just use River Monsters as a reference for the identification of these fish?

my bad if you read the post everyone jumped ship from gator to florida spotted!read befor you insult!!!
There's clearly two fish as was established by the OP. This is why the ID was confused.

how many spotted gator gars you seen???
Nearly every single one less than 4'.

its the same fish in all pics so i guess you need to figure it out!BANE ME I DONT GIVE A F%^K!!!!!Wheres the RBPS I dont see one!!
Nope. Don't try to get around the language filter. There's two. I'm really close to giving you what you don't care about. Your behavior could easily be considered trolling, but I'm going to assume you're ten.

Pictures 1 and 2 both show an alligator gar, the 3rd pic is of a florida gar. The gator will grow 30"+ and the florida will grow between 18-22".

The tankmates that you have are not ones that are generally appropriate for housing with gars. As far as general care I would suggest reading the stickied topics at the top of the page, they have plenty of relevant information that should answer most of your questions.
+1

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
DEFINENTLY NOT A ALLIGATOR GAR WATCH SOME MORE RIVER MONSTERS NOT A GATOR GAR QUIT THROWIN THE TERM AROUND AND DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!
looool there are 2 species of gars in the 3 pics, bossss. Not all gator gars are those honkin 6 foot long monsters.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I learned 2 things from this post...

1) I'm goign to die alone surrounded by my fishtanks ;)

2) ... okay i learned 1 thing and wasted alot of time reading both horrible info and good info...

Those are some very nice fish atm OP but I would agree with the general concensus that you will need to re-home most of them, or invest in some very large ponds/tanks in the near future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store