If You Build It They Will Come; Monster Fish Need a Home Too

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Miles said:
You're over in the Seattle area? I MUST come visit. I live in Spokane.

How do you keep the tank warm in the winter? Im thinking of pursuing another type of 'adoption' program over here in Spokane..
I have two heater setups; the first is to keep the temperature up to 76-77 degrees Fahrenheit. This can be done with two 500 watt heaters and will keep the tank heated when the temperature is just below freezing with the wind blowing 5 to 10 miles per hour. The aquarium is insulated on all sides, top and bottom with 2" foam which rests between the exterior walls and the plywood interior.

The second heater setup is for doing water changes. There are two 5,500 watt water tank elements in the filter sump each threaded into 1-1/2" bulkhead fitting using a reducer bushing for the element which is only 1". Each heater is supplied by a 220 volt circuit with a 30 amp breaker running a distance of about 70 feet with #10 wire. Heavier wire would have been nicer but with a non-motor strictly resistance load it gets the job done.

If doing a 50% water change I can fill the tank at a rate of 3 gallons per minute. This requires that I raise the temperature of the new city water coming in from 45 up to 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
simply amazing i envy you

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Well done, one of the most impressive set ups that I have seen(residential)
Thank you for sharing this-Those of us with limited tank space can live vicariously through people like you.
Personally I would love to duplicate what you have done, however 6 months of the year it would be a skating rink up here.

Again--Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
In the picture with the guy taking the picture, that is Peacock (Neal) is it not?:grinyes:

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
that buttiforki (spelling) is huge :WHOA: :WHOA:

great setup man :thumbsup:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
in the words of rayman45, your the man. i'd guess there'd be a few people on here that wouldn't mind taking unwanted monster fish.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
build another monster tank your doing alot of good

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
armac said:
In the picture with the guy taking the picture, that is Peacock (Neal) is it not?:grinyes:
Yes, good eye, he gets around and I had his huge, monster Marbled Sailfin which is now residing at the Georgia Aquarium.
http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store