If you cant beat'm.. give up. my 120 Mn. Native tank rebuild.

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
when the big tear down n filter cleaning happen ill scrub the filter n change media. If there is a service to do this in my area I may have to try that.. as much as I love keeping fish im not a fan if big cleanings..lol

took a couple new pics ill post shortly..

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
lol.. thanks Mr walleye is a bit special.. in pic five you can see the blue gill has one of the walleyes minnows in his mouth!

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
Same thing happened to me. Had snails in my 75. Got loaches for said snails. Snails in tank all but disappeared. I opened up the fx5 and to my disbelief it was full of snails! So I cleaned it out and forgot about it.

About 5 months later I tore down my 75 to set up a new 135. I used the fx5 to fast cycle the 135 since it was already seeded with beneficial bacteria. Low and behold, there were snails in the 135 now! I took the fx5 off once I got the sump going on the 135. Every once in a while I will still see a small snail or two.

Thunderbird7480

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Regarding snails. If one is keeping a native tank with sunfish/bream in it already, could a couple of redear sunfish help with snail populations? They are specialized at eating invertebrates like snails and I think

Im not sure what quantities they could eat though. If they could keep up with the exploding snail population.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store