If you could breed any two rays...

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i would like to cross a leo, p14, pearl, or marble with my superspot. i think it would look crazy...:nilly:

IMG_2237.JPG

opsanus

Jack Dempsey
Jan 23, 2008
New Jersey
It's always been curious to me that so many people are very critical of creating hybrids of cichlid species, but I never hear any outcry about doing the same thing with rays.....

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
opsanus;1785672; said:
It's always been curious to me that so many people are very critical of creating hybrids of cichlid species, but I never hear any outcry about doing the same thing with rays.....
look on some asian sites... alot of crazy hybrids over there...

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
opsanus;1785672; said:
Potamotrygon are pretty much all 1 species, while alot of hybridization in Cichlids (flowerhorns, BPs, etc) are hybridized between genus making most either infertile, or a some type of 'monstrosity'..

Note that the outcry for selective breeding for coloration (royal green terror, aulonocara) and cross breeding for patterns (discus, angels) is next to nothing, and almost all livebearers are cross bred..

I basically look at Rays like I look at guppies.. Cross em up, make em cool.. It's not like the gene pool is going to get shallow quickly if it takes years to reach maturity.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
opsanus;1785672; said:
Another reason is Rays cross breed in the wild on there own. That is why there are so many species that are either undefined or placed into a common group such as motoro. The chances of a green terror and a red devil cross breeding in the aquarium will never happen. You mix a couple of ray species together and you never know what will happen.

opsanus

Jack Dempsey
Jan 23, 2008
New Jersey
hmm..good points guys, and I'm not necessarily against cross-breeding rays...

I was just comparing to mbuna hobbyists that generally abhor hybrids,which usually are of the same genus. But then again, there is the lifespan difference that would keep the ray genepool stronger. I just wonder about the optimum future so many envision, when the overwhelming majority of fw rays sold are captive bred. How many folks will be selling identifiable species, vs. hybrid "potomotrygon sp.", each individual looking different. It could end up being analogous to diamondback terrapin subspecies distribution along the eastern seaboard, which I'm way to lazy to explain unless anyone is interested. :)

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
opsanus;1787338; said:
hmm..good points guys, and I'm not necessarily against cross-breeding rays...

I was just comparing to mbuna hobbyists that generally abhor hybrids,which usually are of the same genus. But then again, there is the lifespan difference that would keep the ray genepool stronger. I just wonder about the optimum future so many envision, when the overwhelming majority of fw rays sold are captive bred. How many folks will be selling identifiable species, vs. hybrid "potomotrygon sp.", each individual looking different. It could end up being analogous to diamondback terrapin subspecies distribution along the eastern seaboard, which I'm way to lazy to explain unless anyone is interested. :)
Im interested but perhaps its better to start another thread in the proper forum...

lincolngoh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore Serangoon Gdn
Mixed rays take 4 gens at least before 80% of th epups look similar. It's sucha gamble, no wonder asians love it.

But the results can be spectacular and unique. You may not get a simliar one even if the parents mate again.

I'll go for PDR X Pearl, with siblings crossed back to Henlei or PDR again. I'm trying desperately to get a few of these suckers.:chillpill:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store