illegal

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
whats ironic is that your tri state neighbor ( New Jersey) , piranhas are being sold in every other LFS. Its not like there are climate differences between the 2 states.

And piranhas have virtually no chance of proliferating here ... its just too damn cold for them to survive the winter.

But thats the law...

Corydoras

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Singapore
Piranha is illegal in Singapore too. Is it because of their rate of multiplying? As they are carnivorous schooling fish, they will attack in groups; which tagged them an extremely dangerous fish and hence illegal.

Personally, I think they might upset the ecosystem drastically if they were to be released into foreign waters.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Corydoras said:
Piranha is illegal in Singapore too. Is it because of their rate of multiplying? As they are carnivorous schooling fish, they will attack in groups; which tagged them an extremely dangerous fish and hence illegal.

Personally, I think they might upset the ecosystem drastically if they were to be released into foreign waters.

Corydoras, i understand why Ps are illegal in SE asia. The weather is warm
over there and when released into the local waters, there is a real chance of them breeding. But here in the US (East Coast), temperature here drops to zero degrees
during winter so there is no way they can survive...

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i was told by an ex usf&w
p are illigal in ny because in the summer say i dump 10 of them in

they kill everything and die in the winter

hence no fishies

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
rayman45 said:
i was told by an ex usf&w
p are illigal in ny because in the summer say i dump 10 of them in

they kill everything and die in the winter

hence no fishies

Kill what?? other fish? probably so but how many fish will several Ps kill in during the hot season? Plus in NJ, i dont hear of things like that happening..

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
exactly what i said to him
was madd

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
pufferking said:
this is stupid piranha are illegal in CT were i live. i have known this for a while and wonder why they are illegal. i bet because of fear and common misconseptions
Fear, They put trout, blue gill, and catfish every where and those can really mess up a watersystems biota, especailly the bluegill.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
piranhas are the most overrated fish on the planet. Kill all the fish in the lake... LOL! the things don't breed very well at all, and the native fish are more likely to eat the piranhas, than vice versa. A two foot bass vs a load 10" redbellies? haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store