I'm 100 grandpas! Paradise fry already...

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
Wow they are tiny! Good luck with them, looks like a swarm :D

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
They are quite the swarm. I did a water change and the curious buggers took rides by the dozen down into the bucket. Took me hours of sneak attacks to net them all back into the main tank. There's still one in there and, though my basement is 60ºF, it's a paradise fish and I'm not particularly concerned for his well-being. We'll just see if the fry are as resilient as the parents. I'm putting my money on 'yes'.

I put a cloud of daphnia in there and they eat the hatchlings. I feed them powdered and liquid fry food. I give them squirts of infusoria from what once was a green water tank that has gone south. And they are picking the nematodes out of the hair algae that I let grow on the walls of the tank. They are probably also eating things I don't know about.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
More photos of the fry? I can try after the next clean of the glass. They are a little bigger now but almost look the same. But they are growing pretty evenly. Their silvery bellies are always full, even when I miss feedings. Must be infusoria, etc. growing in there. Light still on 24/7 and now only feeding 2 or 3 times a day since tank seems to be producing food non-stop.

I really hope I can assemble a group of females from these fry.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
KG: How long have you had the parents? Is this their first attempt at spawning with success? Why the green tubes? Have you had other fish with spawning success?
Thanks for sharing with us. Subcribed.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Yes, this is their first spawn as far as I know. I bought them about five or six days before they spawned. This species is one of the easiest. I was fortunate to find a female as that's often the difficult part. But you could probably spawn them in a damp towel or soggy shoebox. They are a seriously bullet-proof species that is just as willing to reproduce as they are to survive.

I have bred bettas a few times and, of course, livebearers.

I also had two colombian tetras hatch from a group of six adults. I set up a breeding net and kept them in it. I couldn't tell if I was getting eggs or not until *pow* I found fry while cleaning. But I realized tetras bore me on the whole and I didn't want my fish living out their lives in a giant floating net so I gave them back.

I have a male and female pair of dwarf puffers but currently am keeping a banjo cat in with them so even if the eggs I see them laying are fertile, he's picking them off at night. After I raise these paradise fry I'll give the puffers a whirl. I guess they're really easy, too.

I'm taking it easy and just breeding the easy species for now. Trying to keep it stress-free and fun until I'm really accustomed to the ups and downs. Then I'll invest in something more interesting and challenging.

The floating tubes are a sort of leaf imitation. They are leftover cores from produce bag rolls at Trader Joe's and it's just providence that they float and the fish like them.

I've been fortunate on the whole with spawnings but failed with raphael catfish (no surprise there) and hoplos (rather thought I had them figured out). I'll find a way to spawn doradids and other catfish eventually, but it's just not worth pulling out my hair for at this time.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
knifegill;4903051; said:
Yes, this is their first spawn as far as I know. I bought them about five or six days before they spawned. This species is one of the easiest. I was fortunate to find a female as that's often the difficult part. But you could probably spawn them in a damp towel or soggy shoebox. They are a seriously bullet-proof species that is just as willing to reproduce as they are to survive.

I have bred bettas a few times and, of course, livebearers.

I also had two colombian tetras hatch from a group of six adults. I set up a breeding net and kept them in it. I couldn't tell if I was getting eggs or not until *pow* I found fry while cleaning. But I realized tetras bore me on the whole and I didn't want my fish living out their lives in a giant floating net so I gave them back.

I have a male and female pair of dwarf puffers but currently am keeping a banjo cat in with them so even if the eggs I see them laying are fertile, he's picking them off at night. After I raise these paradise fry I'll give the puffers a whirl. I guess they're really easy, too.

I'm taking it easy and just breeding the easy species for now. Trying to keep it stress-free and fun until I'm really accustomed to the ups and downs. Then I'll invest in something more interesting and challenging.

The floating tubes are a sort of leaf imitation. They are leftover cores from produce bag rolls at Trader Joe's and it's just providence that they float and the fish like them.

I've been fortunate on the whole with spawnings but failed with raphael catfish (no surprise there) and hoplos (rather thought I had them figured out). I'll find a way to spawn doradids and other catfish eventually, but it's just not worth pulling out my hair for at this time.
WOW! I never would have guessed that those particular species were so prolific. Beta's and Tetra's also. My compliments. I have tried with Mbuna's, but had no luck. How many Beta's do you have now? Have they continued to breed or are they separated now?

You mentioned you've tried with the raphael catfish. Which did you have, the spotted or striped? I'd like to try both types, but must do more research on them before I jump into doing that. Other than web searches or e-books on these fish, would you recommend any particular hardbound literary reference book(s) to help with their research? I'm talking about a real book I could physically hold on my lap, sitting in my lazy-boy recliner while I read from it?

I've seen hoplos in tanks of my friends, when I lived in Portland, Oregon. I asked him about their rapport, demeanor and breeding habbits. The thing which I remember my friend saying is that they have similar characteristics to those of the corydora's. As far as breeding, he mentioned they normally can be bred in water temps simulating the cool temps which rain water has on their natural environment. What's your opinion(s) of the statements my friend mentioned about the hoplos? Agree/Disagree? Your thoughts on the subject?

Personally, I don't know what to think about the temp issue. I've never tried, but would like to some day. I like the hoplos' physical attributes moreso than the cory cats. They just seem to more appealing to me for some reason, which I can't put my finger on at the moment. Some cory cats have a look that cause them to be appealing like the C121, or the panda. But I find the hoplos more appealing. It might be do to not reading much about them on MFK. I think I'll start a personal study and gather information for a reference file.

Thanks for answering my questions. Reading your responces has been pleasurable and interestingly informative to me.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
WOW! I never would have guessed that those particular species were so prolific. Beta's and Tetra's also. My compliments. I have tried with Mbuna's, but had no luck. How many Beta's do you have now? Have they continued to breed or are they separated now?

You mentioned you've tried with the raphael catfish. Which did you have, the spotted or striped? I'd like to try both types, but must do more research on them before I jump into doing that. Other than web searches or e-books on these fish, would you recommend any particular hardbound literary reference book(s) to help with their research? I'm talking about a real book I could physically hold on my lap, sitting in my lazy-boy recliner while I read from it?

I've seen hoplos in tanks of my friends, when I lived in Portland, Oregon. I asked him about their rapport, demeanor and breeding habbits. The thing which I remember my friend saying is that they have similar characteristics to those of the corydora's. As far as breeding, he mentioned they normally can be bred in water temps simulating the cool temps which rain water has on their natural environment. What's your opinion(s) of the statements my friend mentioned about the hoplos? Agree/Disagree? Your thoughts on the subject?

Personally, I don't know what to think about the temp issue. I've never tried, but would like to some day. I like the hoplos' physical attributes moreso than the cory cats. They just seem to more appealing to me for some reason, which I can't put my finger on at the moment. Some cory cats have a look that cause them to be appealing like the C121, or the panda. But I find the hoplos more appealing. It might be do to not reading much about them on MFK. I think I'll start a personal study and gather information for a reference file.

Thanks for answering my questions. Reading your responces has been pleasurable and interestingly informative to me.
I have only kept my favorite bettas out of the ones I've bred. All females, and I have about seven of them together in a 20 hex. I have three male bettas in different community settings and am waiting for one of my females to get a little bigger so I can continue to outcross and produce stronger, yet still pretty bettas.

I tried to spawn a flirting pair of striped raphaels, platydoras armatulus. But I either didn't work my triggers correctly or the vegetation was wrong, as they never spawned for me. I had leaves, gravel, caves and lots of floating plants. There are only a couple of recorded cases of these spawning in aquaria, but they are now pond-reared in Asia and shipped in sterilized so that kind of takes the fun out of it for me. There are no books about spawning doradids that I know of.

I agree about hoplos. The spawning trigger is a decrease in conductivity of their water. Cooler temps don't need to happen, though, just the drop in conductivity.

I find hoplos to be superior to cory cats in that they can't be eaten by an Oscar. Similar looks, but because they can easily exceed 8" and get as thick as a football, it's a win. They also beg for food, which is adorable.

As for these paradise fry, I hesitate to feed them as they are constantly full of daphnia eggs and the other things growing in the tank. I gave them a pinch of egg yolk this morning and they are definitely overfed right now.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
knifegill;4912824; said:
I have only kept my favorite bettas out of the ones I've bred. All females, and I have about seven of them together in a 20 hex. I have three male bettas in different community settings and am waiting for one of my females to get a little bigger so I can continue to outcross and produce stronger, yet still pretty bettas.

I tried to spawn a flirting pair of striped raphaels, platydoras armatulus. But I either didn't work my triggers correctly or the vegetation was wrong, as they never spawned for me. I had leaves, gravel, caves and lots of floating plants. There are only a couple of recorded cases of these spawning in aquaria, but they are now pond-reared in Asia and shipped in sterilized so that kind of takes the fun out of it for me. There are no books about spawning doradids that I know of.

I agree about hoplos. The spawning trigger is a decrease in conductivity of their water. Cooler temps don't need to happen, though, just the drop in conductivity.

I find hoplos to be superior to cory cats in that they can't be eaten by an Oscar. Similar looks, but because they can easily exceed 8" and get as thick as a football, it's a win. They also beg for food, which is adorable.

As for these paradise fry, I hesitate to feed them as they are constantly full of daphnia eggs and the other things growing in the tank. I gave them a pinch of egg yolk this morning and they are definitely overfed right now.
These betta's you're referring to are they the betta splendins a.k.a. the Siamese Fighter? I have had a few of those when I lived in Oregon, but when I moved to AZ, I sold all of my tanks, accessories and the fish which were in them and then established some more tanks when I got relocated and settled in.

When I relocate to Phillips, Wisconsin in about 8 to 10 weeks, I will be setting up more tanks once again and hopefully be able to get some other types of Betta's that I feel out do the Siamese Fighter's. The Betta imbellis, B. macrostoma, Macropodus ocellatus, and Malpulutta kretseri are just some species which I will be on the lookout for to purchase and raise and care for. The ones that will be the most difficult to find and buy will be the Betta Macrostoma and the Macropodus ocellatus as from what research I've found on these fish, they are rarely imported and then it is usually only the males which are imported. Do you know much about any of them, from personal experience? Anyone else care to chime in? Your comments are welcomed.

You speak of the conductivity decrease to trigger spawning for the hoplo's. Would you care to elaborate more on that terminology, as I'm not familiar with it. In addition to that topic, my research done on the hoplo's indicates the water needs to drop in temp to iniate spawning. From what you are saying, this is not always the case? Please elaborate on this as well if possible, as I find it peculiar.

I must agree with putting the hopol's in with O's as opposed to cory cats as the greater size of the hopolo's would make for a challenging feast with the Oscar's and if they to ingest one it would probably pose for an immediate use of the "heimlic manuever" on the O's.:ROFL:Now how would you be able to accomplish that? Yes, the cory's would be a challenging meal for the O's. But, with the greater size and speed of the O's, there wouldn't be much of a chase or fight.

Feeding the paradise fry a bit of egg yolk on top of a full stomach, would one consider that as power feeding the fry? At any rate, I can hardly wait to see their progress myself. I can tell you're charged up about it too. It's good to do that once in a while, but hopefully and time goes by, you'll have an entire brood, without casualties.

One more question and then I'l let you breath some. I have heard of Croaking Gourami's (Trichopsis vittatus), but have had not been able to find hardly any at all on the market at my LFS. I'd be curiously interested to know if you or any other MFK members have had experience with these types of Gourami's. If so would you/they mind sharing your/their experiences with the rest of us?

Well KG, I've just been informed supper is ready, so I'll TTYL. BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences with us. ~ David :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store