im not exactly sure how many gallons is my tank.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
hmm, so, most people use US gallons right? or does it depends on their country? i see most people use US .
I think most people on this site that wouldn't normally measure in US do so on here so everyone is on the same page. But it does depend on country as to what would normally be used.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
A lot of experienced people can see a tank and eye ball it and still get a close estimate but for the most part I've seen alittle confusion when talking to other countries because of their difference in calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
I think most people on this site that wouldn't normally measure in US do so on here so everyone is on the same page. But it does depend on country as to what would normally be used.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
yeah probably. in my country people usually dont use gallons neither litres instead they only measure by the length and only the length. weird ehh? i knew these gallon-measuring thing when i went into mfk. xD

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
A lot of experienced people can see a tank and eye ball it and still get a close estimate but for the most part I've seen alittle confusion when talking to other countries because of their difference in calculations.

yeah, i see some people in youtube makes really weird calculations, probably just estimating. i saw once tht he mentioned his tank is a 65 and it looks small compared to mine. tht's why i estimate my tank to 120. hahah

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
yeah, i see some people in youtube makes really weird calculations, probably just estimating. i saw once tht he mentioned his tank is a 65 and it looks small compared to mine. tht's why i estimate my tank to 120. hahah
Yeah. Someone told me a long time ago how to write it out as a math equation when I had a round pond and I was unsure about how to calculate it. It's also sometimes inexperienced keepers buying tank that someone thought was bigger then it is. My older brother had a 29 for a long time and always thought it was a 50 gallon. Then when I moved out I got serious with keeping and started to expand. I had three 29s and a 55. He swore up and down it was a 50 till I showed him my brand new 29 with the label still on it. The guy he got it from sold it as a 50 to my brother.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Yeah. Someone told me a long time ago how to write it out as a math equation when I had a round pond and I was unsure about how to calculate it. It's also sometimes inexperienced keepers buying tank that someone thought was bigger then it is. My older brother had a 29 for a long time and always thought it was a 50 gallon. Then when I moved out I got serious with keeping and started to expand. I had three 29s and a 55. He swore up and down it was a 50 till I showed him my brand new 29 with the label still on it. The guy he got it from sold it as a 50 to my brother.

hmm, u should've write down the equation, and probably could share it with us. and yeaah, thanks to the aquarium gallon calculator in the web makes size calculation easier. fyi, before this i even miscalculate my 30 as a 90, which also the tank where my dad's giant gourami lived for 3 yrs. O.O
soo, your brother got the 29 with a 50g pricetag? is the guy tht sold it to him also didnt know tht it was a 29 or was ure brother cheated?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I only started using gallons when i came to MFK, since over here we normally go by liters instead...

So yeah just depends where you are and who you are talking to...

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
I only started using gallons when i came to MFK, since over here we normally go by liters instead...

So yeah just depends where you are and who you are talking to...

ohh, same here. people here only measure tanks by how long it is.
fyi, there are very few fishkeepers here in my place, there are some but most of them kept those usual climbing perches(believe can prevent any bad things to happen to the family) and tht doesnt need proper care, just need a small plastic tank and unchlorinated tap water to keep one. probably im the only one tht is really into fish in my family. soo, yeah i can only talk about fish here in mfk. :D

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ very true... I know just in the Asian culture there are a few superstitions that involve fish...

Just look at some of the Chinese and their expensive Arowanas for example...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store