Impulse buy plz ID

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
each fish is different but i would say you have a good two years. the rule of thumb is the tank should be 1 1/2x the length of the fish.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i would agree with Florida gar, this also shows the slightly upturned snout that we are seeing with these 'farm-raised' floridas coming in. keep an eye on that, and make sure he doesn't bang his head against the glass.

also keep an eye out for fishes bullying it or stressing it out; richard (polypterus) and myself have found that moving a small gar to quarters that large too early will often result (or highly increase the probability of) a broken back.

if you have a smaller tank (like a 50g breeder) i would move him to that and grow him out a bit. sounds counterintuitive, but we have found this works best with small gars.--
--solomon

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
how will I be able to tell that he has a broken back :(

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
adamstv;726725; said:
how will I be able to tell that he has a broken back :(
you'll know when you see it...but it basically looks like a kink in the back, it can be an arc or a sharp angle kink. the fish may or may not have control of all its fins and posterior muscles from the break/damage onward posteriorly.

hopefully you won't have this happen, but if you have a somewhat smaller tank, 12-18" wide, i would use that to grow the fish out a bit before moving it to such a large tank--
--solomon

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
I have a cycled 55 gal and i think ill move him to there. Do they do good alone? i know some fish get shy alone. And Quick question i thought gars a middle level swimming but all he does is float on top and just chill till i dangle a worm in front of him. Normal?

another thiing, i was so freaked out when you said the can get broken backs cause i noticed hes swimming fine when he wants, but his body isnt 100 percent straight his head is always deeper than he tail. Hes kinda like this ( kinda like that symbol but turned once towards the left. is this ok?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
gar will range anywhere from the bottom to the top. also make sure you have enough clearance between the hood and surface of the water because gar need air to breathe. i would not worry about his shape. mine makes funny shapes all the time. like solomon said you will know if it happens. i also think a smaller grow out tank is a good idea...as long as it is a grow out tank and not its long term home. which you certainly have a larger tank waiting for him. as far as tankmates mine has gotten along with anything that he couldnt eat. just make sure they are not bullied. IMO...i think they are more prone to being bullied than doing the bullying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store