Increase in oddball clowns?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
Has anyone else noticed an increase in oddball clown loaches? I ordered 6 yesterday, 4 had four stripes and one with spots. Im guessing the hormone breeding is causing more defects

Sent from my X500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Can't say i've noticed a difference in the amount of oddball clowns cause i've only been collecting clown loaches for a few years, but i love the oddballs. To have a shoal of all different looking markings i think looks pretty cool. I do have 1 or 2 cool oddballs that seem to have abreviated snouts. Maybe a side effect of the induced hormones. But they seem healthy nontheless and growing normally

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I completely agree with you. I saw a huge batch of 30 three inch clown loaches. At least one fifth of them has some nice unique patterns.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Soon enough clean "normal" lines will be the oddball, I swear about 1/3 of what I've seen at lfs can be classified as oddballs

evabug1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Milky Way
+1

Used to be really hard to find an oddball. Now I see oddballs all the time and alot of them have the shorter snouts as well. In fact I have one with a shorter snout. It's growth seems very slow comparatively.

lil_pendejo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Illannoy
It does seem as if there are more oddballs now. I have 9 that are all between 2 1/2 and 3 inches and they are all marked differently. I actually prefer their uniqueness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jadedreams

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2011
Oklahoma
I've gotten several lately and about half of them have been oddballs too with spots or an extra line. Interesting..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store