Indo Datnoid color?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I've kept Indo's 4 different Indo's 4 different times so far and everyone of them was constantly stable*knock on wood*. This is despite the fact that they where all ordered online and I couldn't even choose the most stable out of what was available. I personally think stability is a result of two things dominance/comfort and decor. Dat's are ambush predators and their pattern is probably used to help them hide in vegetation, their dark and light pattern working similar to a real tigers blending with the shadows and plant matter and substrate. As such if you give them some plants to stalk from you may help elicit a pattern change.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
There is no answer as to how to make your Datnoids stable. IMO when a tiger is by themselves, they will be stable. When kept in groups is when stability is a problem.
That is an interesting point but i have seen many photos and videos of groups of dats looking stable.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
That is an interesting point but i have seen many photos and videos of groups of dats looking stable.
As have I but I think that depends more on the individual fishes than the environment. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw when you buy a Dat. I've taken Dats that have never been stable and put them in a tank by them self(only datnoid) as an experiment and they were stable for a month before I took them out. There's no conspecific aggression for dominance which I think causes them to feel more like the boss of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
As have I but I think that depends more on the individual fishes than the environment. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw when you buy a Dat. I've taken Dats that have never been stable and put them in a tank by them self(only datnoid) as an experiment and they were stable for a month before I took them out. There's no conspecific aggression for dominance which I think causes them to feel more like the boss of the tank.
If it's luck of the draw and I've mixed Indo's into aggressive comm's 4 times and they managed to stay stable then maybe I should hit Vegas instead of buying Indo's. :D

Seriously though an Indo's stable appearance is their natural state as it's part of their ambush predator hunting style so I don't think stability is luck of the draw as much as a result of their environmental conditions and cues. I will agree that dominance does play a role in stability but only for the fact that any dominant animal is obviously very comfortable in his surroundings and is naturally more confident in themselves so they're capable of maintaining stability even without environmental cues and conditions. Of the 4 Indo's I've kept most where the least dominant fish in my tanks and remained stable despite it. Indicating to me that dominance isn't always needed even my last Indo was the toy of 3 Silver ST's and a Flowerhorn and despite being the low man on the totem maintained stability.
IMG_3154#3.JPG
IMG_3802#3.JPG

IMG_3154#3.JPG

IMG_3802#3.JPG

Reactions: johnaro

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Do you have any long, straigh standing plants like Amazon swords in your tank, Kolt? I ask because I have a theory and I'm curious to see what your response

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
No but my tank has a lot of plants attached to the sides to that he can dive into. Here's a video of the tank so you can see how the plants are set up. The Dat hides when not patroling at either end of the tank just under the fake plants in his stalking position head down peering out. I also don't want to derail the OP's thread too much, perhaps we should try creating a new Indo stability thread. People can share their experiences with Indo's and stability and how they believed factors affected/effected the Dats stability. Maybe with many sources we can piece at least this part of the Dat puzzle together.
[YT]_lQ_6bs8ylY[/YT]

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
There do seem to be a lot of mysteries with them I am learning. These are my first datnoids ever. It really makes you respect and appreciate the wild in a creature. It is fun learning though.
Your right ... I've had so many and tried so many things to figure it out but each fish has a mind of its own and that makes it alittle harder lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store