Indoor Intex pools as Ray ponds?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Just my opinion here.......

Throw that idea out the window. OR any swimming pool idea.......

Go to Menards. Get yourself the biggest pond liner they have. Buy LOTS of landscaping brick and use that to build your pond. Get the brick that interlocks. This looks like a million bucks, you can do it yourself, and when you move you can easily take it with. But the real advantage is being able to insulate the crap out of it. I have no trouble heating mine with 4 stealth heaters in the filter.

Here's a pic of mine still in the building stages, but you get the idea.

epicentyr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
GR Michigan
wow DB that is awesome.

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
tonymofo;2338528; said:
Would you consider using one of these intex pools as a ray pond?

If you would how would you set up the filtration on this?

They are good for temporary use only, We used one 10ft round to house some customers large fish while we replaced his tank. It held up well if you plan on keeping any fish with large teeth (gars) it is not a good idea they did manage to put a few pinholes in mine.

DB is right go with something more permanent if you can.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've actually found the liners at Menards to be pretty tough. I dropped some serious stuff on my liner while building (result of a 1 man build crew) and I have yet to put a hole in it. Cheap too.

But beware.... I planned mine for a few months and now that it's finished there is a BUNCH of mistakes. Planning is key. Have others look over your plans and point out problem areas. Mine sucks bad due to space. My basement is probobly the size of most people's bathrooms with a ceiling of like 6 1/2 foot.

Research Koi pond filtration. I did AFTER I built my pond and honestly the only thing I feel I did right was the brick and liner.....LOL

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
some 2x4s,and plywood will make a better set up....

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I kept my motoros in ponds made from 45 mil Firestone liner. Every year I would find a leak and had to replace the liner. The rays either poked or chewed a hole in it every year. It was a real pain to replace (remove the rays, shut down the filter, remove the sand, take apart the top of the pond, pull the liner, etc.).

If I were to do another ray pond, the interior would have to be of solid construction (fiberglass, tile, etc.).

Good luck,

Colin

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
pat can get u some nice ponds for a good price. he has 3 in his shop....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store