Inherited a 1000 gallon aquarium...interested in putting mass on huge largemouth bass

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
where you at in Texas, I would like to see that 12 pound bass in person..........

nickelnutz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
ontario
arherp;2851481; said:
Pinkie and fuzzie rats will pack weight and size quick. If you go with frozen, rodentpro. Com is a real good place.
I was under the impression that feeding anything that isn't in the fish's normal diet was bad for them since their bodies can't properly digest things like fur.

arherp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2009
Kentucky, USA
rodents are in MANY fishes diets. They fall into the water pretty often. I personally have seen Muskie and LM Bass jump onto the bank and snag rodents and frogs. There is no fur on pinks and fuzzies...??

nickelnutz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
ontario
rodents are in MANY fishes diets. They fall into the water pretty often. I personally have seen Muskie and LM Bass jump onto the bank and snag rodents and frogs.
That is insane. I'd love to see something like that.

There is no fur on pinks and fuzzies...??
I didn't realize that, just read the rats part and figured fur.

redchaser

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
louisiana
www.redchaser.com
Nice looking fish. A thought to consider. While 1000 gallons is a lot of volume of water, and I'm sure handles the bio load just fine, you may want to consider a tank with a bigger footprint. Your tank, being 7 feet tall, doesn't look very long or wide, which doesn't leave a lot of "swim" room. Also, a tank that is longer and wider, but a bit shallower would be easier to maintain. It's much easier to reach bottom in a tank that is more spread out.

Proxor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Norway
nice, did u fish them urself? if so must be funn live in a area where u can go capture ur own aquarium fish:p here in norway it is to cold for tropical fishes hehe..

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
I do not see that fish gaining much weight in a small tank like that. It has no where to go. i would put a bunch of crappie in there and let the poor LMB go back where it came from. Or build a tank that would hold a fish that size good. IMO a good tank size would be 10' in length and 4' in depth and 4' in hieght. And give it a length wise strong current of about a 10x turn over rate. That would grow some bass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store