Injured arrowana, missing an eye

gking0529

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Hey everyone, unfortunately my arrowana suffered an injury last night. He’s in a grow out tank, and he is a baby. He is missing an eye, looks like it got picked out by a tank mate, and his fins are extremely damaged. I put him in a quarantine bucket in the tank to separate him from the rest, and I dosed the entire tank with salt and melafix. Is there anything else I can do?89C27F3C-333F-42D4-8149-AFCEB8D190A7.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone, unfortunately my arrowana suffered an injury last night. He’s in a grow out tank, and he is a baby. He is missing an eye, looks like it got picked out by a tank mate, and his fins are extremely damaged. I put him in a quarantine bucket in the tank to separate him from the rest, and I dosed the entire tank with salt and melafix. Is there anything else I can do?View attachment 1493421
Welcome aboard

You already treated the main aquarium. Suggest treatment injured fish in a separate aquarium or a tote.
What is in the aquarium besides the Arowana?

Reactions: Fishman Dave

gking0529

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
He is in a separate tub in my 45g. I have him in a basket floating in the water until I get a quarantine tank. Other tank mates were juvenile silver dollars and about a 5 month old EBA. He is now separated from his tank mates. Any idea who the bully could be? I’m healing him with melafix and salt atm and doing a water change every 2 days until he eats, and once he starts to eat I’ll slowly introduce him back in the tank

gking0529

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
He also seems to be swimming at the top instead of sitting at the bottom, which is why I have hope.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Put him in a quarantine tank with filter and preferably an airstone. Recommended dose of salt & melafix (don't dose too heavy on either, go with recommended dose. Both are irritants). Temp around 80 oF. Water change 25% daily and redose accordingly. He should heal up fine. On the bright side, he's going to be a tough little one-eyed bastard if he pulls through, and you'll always have a story to tell... it'll give him a lot of character.

Reactions: Doug B and tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
What does EBA stand for? The arowana lost both its barbels too… ouch

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store