Injured gar

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
He may heal, he may not. It's unpredictable at this point. I would just give him a tank by himself to rest. I can't tell you what will happen if he doesn't heal soon, but my guess is he'll remain like that for life. But I could be wrong.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Still swimming around just using his front fins , not breathing heavy.I think he might be ok.he's. One tough fish, hard to look at him right now, tough on the eyes

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Just got home from work, he seems to have a little better movement now, using his tail a little bit. Keeping my fingers crossed

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
The gar doesn't seem to be getting any better, not eating now, afraid I will have to do what needs to be done. It happened on Wednesday, I don't want to jump the gun on this but I don't want him to suffer either. Should he have shown signs of improvement by now? Here's a video I took today. The footage of the gar is towards the end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, also what would be a humane way to go about this.?
https://youtu.be/iEzofneL-W0

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
He may not recover, however there is some information about gar disease on this forum, and that may be ammonia poisoning. Check it out to be sure.

Mine healed overnight but perhaps every case is different.

Humaine as in for you or the animal? As long as the gar dies quickly it should be fine. If you don't want to put stress on it you could do the alcohol adding thing, where you slowly add alcohol and it kills the fish (I don't know don't quote me on that being humane). You could just quickly cut its head off, or chop, this would instantly kill the fish, but it might be odd or unappealing for you.

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
Sorry to hear about your gar, I have a spotted gar that is about 15cm that broke his back but the other way round its like a "U" shape, he´s alive at the moment and broke his back 1 year ago, he eats, he swims around with the other gar that is 35cm and is perfectly fine apart from how he swims. I think you should wait and see. Also gars after breaking their back won´t grow any more, my 15cm gar is older than my 35cm gar.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Sorry to hear about your gar, I have a spotted gar that is about 15cm that broke his back but the other way round its like a "U" shape, he´s alive at the moment and broke his back 1 year ago, he eats, he swims around with the other gar that is 35cm and is perfectly fine apart from how he swims. I think you should wait and see. Also gars after breaking their back won´t grow any more, my 15cm gar is older than my 35cm gar.
they will grow if the injury doesn't affect their life that much. I've seen a 5.5 feet(167cm) with broken back at Texas freshwater fishery center, and I don't think a big gar would break its' back like a young gar since their spine is stronger and their control over the speed is a lot better.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Well I put the gar down just a few minutes ago, he hadn't left the bottom of the tank in two days.still I second guess my decision

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store