Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello can somebody please tell me if this is an injury or illness? I purchased this 4" flagtail a few weeks ago and noticed a mark on his face that looked like a damaged scale. He was kept with two other flagtails and some small cichlids at a reputable store so I thought it was from liplocking. The mark has progressively gotten deeper and now there is a tiny hole in the center. Is this HITH or another disease or does it look more like an injury?

He is currently housed in a 240g at 75 degrees. Diet is hikari and NLS thera A pellets, algae wafers, shrimp and fruit scraps from my bigger fish. I do 50-75%+ WC's almost every day so parameters are nearly identical and my tap water is hard with a fairly high pH around 7.6

Tankmates are 5 tiger silver dollars around 3" and a ~23" achara catfish who all show no signs of sickness. I also have a 22" pacu that I just noticed yesterday has a white patch near the top of his gills and head. For the last week since I added more sand and painted the background black he's been swimming erratically around the tank doing laps and quick turns, occasionally rubbing those exact spots on his face against the sand or acrylic. I can't tell if he's exercising and getting scratched from the sand or trying to get off the ich or whatever it is.

I just purchased 40lbs of Morton water softener salt and am preparing to dose at 1tsp per gallon (5 cups for 240g) and will be raising temps to 86 degrees. If anyone can identify exactly what I'm dealing with for both fish I would appreciate it.

IMG_20200505_224108.jpg

IMG_20200505_224046.jpg

IMG_20200505_221414.jpg

IMG_20200505_221045.jpg

IMG_20200505_221011.jpg

IMG_20200505_220935.jpg

IMG_20200505_220228.jpg

IMG_20200425_165143.jpg

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d say more of an injury for the flag tail. Keep the nitrates low as possible. I’d dab the area with some methylene blue on a qtip for a week. Then apply a bio bandage on top.

The pacu maybe from moving around the tank. See some extra slimecoat on that area. Watch and keep the water clean.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Thanks for the response, it looks like the bio bandage is out of stock everywhere but I'll try methylene blue. It will be hard catching him once let alone multiple times so I'll probably have to put him in a 10 gallon for a week.

I'm going to hold off on the temp increase and salt for now to not cause stress since it doesn't really look like ich. I wasn't sure about using salt anyways with the achara and characins.

It honestly looks like the pacu is having fun more than anything copying the silver dollars or something but I'm not sure what to think. Ever since I painted the tank it's like he sees his reflection and does a quick turn or kicks up sand on purpose then does a few laps around the tank. He's also been sitting in the bubbles of a filter outlet more often which makes me think something is wrong.

Last edited:

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think it will recover on its own if excellent water quality is maintained and there is nothing to spook him into crashing onto things, including aquarium walls.
Flag tails are incredibly hardy and they heal very quickly.
If the flag tail is eating well, and if it were myself, I would be changing water a lot (to maintain top-notch water quality), and do nothing more that wait and observe.
Seaweed algae (nori) is a food my flagtail loves as a treat, and it is soft and esy on them.

Reactions: Oscar Mike

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I often use Seachem Stressguard in addition to large/ more waterchanges for stuff like this. Seems to help a bit. Quicker healing.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Thank you both, I'll try Stressguard in the main tank and keep up with daily WC's (usually two 50% back to back). I've actually been having a little trouble getting the flagtail to eat, I tried hikari 1mm and micro pellets but he doesn't seem to view them as food yet. He picks at algae in the sand but the algae wafers are too big so I'll try nori and break it into flakes.

Unfortunately I woke up to some sad news, one of my new tiger SDs is missing and the achara has a lump in his belly. Knew it was a bad idea buying them so small, I've been slightly overfeeding so they hopefully wouldn't get eaten but didn't feed the last two days in case it was contributing to the white marks.

I have an empty 90g in the garage I can put them in until they put on a few more inches but need to buy another filter. I mainly got them as dithers because the pacu occasionally tries to nibble the achara's fins when he's not paying attention, but I've also wanted them for close to a decade so it's extra disappointing.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Also just to give an update on the other fish, the marks above the pacu's gills appear to be healing but there are new marks on his nose.

I'm going to paint the right side of the tank where he usually hangs out to stop him from bumping into it. It definitely seems to have helped with the back panel.

Flagtail doesn't look any better but not worse either so that's good at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store