Interested in fancy plecos

Sauteman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
usa
www.blogtalkradio.com
I am interested in getting some fancy plecostomus for my large aquarium that has driftwood in it. I am curious in to some species of plecos I am interested in keeping. I am curious in the price range. I was wondering if you knew anything about them. I am thinking about getting a L134 Leopard Frog Pleco and a Gold Nugget pleco as well as a L191 dull eyed royal. I have about a $100 budget for fancy plecos. Will these fit in it?

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Probably not (gold nugget and dull eye royal Plecos are expensive)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mlsantos

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2012
United states
L134 are around $40-60 a piece if u can find them. Golden nuggets are pretty hard to keep alive jus from my personal experience and they too can range from $40-60. L191 are prolly ur easiest to keep I see the L190 more but panaque species are a lot more hardier but keep in mind they do get big. It really jus depends on what tank size u have and what are u long term goals. L134 I think max out at 5", golden nuggets are also about 5-7" and royals I know can get up to 15" lol so all depends on what u want.

Mlsantos

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2012
United states
Forgot to add royals are also roughly around $40-60 so they all in the same price range. Every state different but there's a lot of awesome vendors here that can help u if u can't find anything local

Linus_Cello

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2009
Washington DC
Yes, GN can be hard to keep alive. Another issues is that the royal is primarily a driftwood eater, while the L134 is carnivorous. If you feed too much high protein foods to the L134, it could cause problems for the royal. Also L134 can be delicate; if this is first time with fancy plecos, you may want to start with L333 or L129s, which are easier to keep (and cheaper). Another one you may want to consider is L204 (which can sometimes be found at $25 each).

JayC74

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
GN's from what I have heard from a successful breeder of them need pretty consistant warm water for long term keep & proper growth. 82 to 86degrees is what he recommended for this whole family of plecs. I would say no also to GN's unless temp requirements are met

Cueball703

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2013
NY
I never heard anything about GNs being hard to keep alive. I've had mine for about 17 months now and he's doing very nicely. He's about 3 inches. I have a full tank of tropical fish mixed in together consisting of 6 different Plecos (Blue Panaque, Sailfin Leopard, King Tiger, Zebra (L46), Green Phantom, and Golden Nugget), 3 Angels, 4 Black Ghosts, 6 Glo-Lite Tetras, 4 Mollies, and 8 Botia YoYo Leaches. I keep the tank between 80-82 degrees, and I do Tank Cleaning/Water Changes once every other week.

Sauteman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
usa
www.blogtalkradio.com
Whats in your tank now?

Royal plecos are cheap in my area, they can go from $20-$25 at 2''.
I will have plenty of driftwood.
Some of the other plecos I have thought of if the L134 can't be found and gold nugget can't be found:
- green phantom pleco
- gold vampire pleco
what are some other suggestions?
In the tank now are 1 common pleco, 1 chocolate cichlid, 4 buneous aires tetras, and 6 corydoras. temp is from 78-80.

yayfish24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Lancaster PA
My vote goes to the gold vampire. Im a huge fan of all the leporacanthicus. I havnt had the gold vampire yet but i have kept most of the others. I even have the l007 vampire breeding for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store