Interesting video.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The title of the video is pure clickbait, tropical fish cannot survive in freezing water!!

But you soon discover the real reason why all these tropical fish are thriving in this Austrian river along with the common European natives.

It's not only tropical fish which are thriving, but plants and snails too. It seems to be a perfectly balanced ecosystem, and one that cannot possibly spread to other local waterways.

The hot isolated springs keep the ecosystem in check, so basically nature is in complete control of these invasives.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The title of the video is pure clickbait, tropical fish cannot survive in freezing water!!

But you soon discover the real reason why all these tropical fish are thriving in this Austrian river along with the common European natives.

It's not only tropical fish which are thriving, but plants and snails too. It seems to be a perfectly balanced ecosystem, and one that cannot possibly spread to other local waterways.

The hot isolated springs keep the ecosystem in check, so basically nature is in complete control of these invasives.

That's great the invasive survived but also sucks man did that.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yes, aquarium fish released into the wild where the temperature conditions are similar to where they came from is a recipe for disaster. Florida is a great example, the waterways are stuffed with invasives and it's easy for them to spread.

This Austrian situation, although not ideal, seems to be isolated to just that stretch of the river where the thermal vents are. I love how the "local" chub and perch just swim about with the "foreigners".

The only real surprising thing for me is that the perch are highly predatory and the chub is also quite predatory once they reach a certain size. Both have cavernous mouths, I'm just surprised the both of them haven't kept the tropicals numbers in better check!

But of course a good head of the tropicals consists of convicts too. Good luck keeping those numbers down chub and perch, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Same thing with the JDs in S Dakota, their range is limited to the warm waters.
Florida on the other hand......
1711829559961.png1711829602216.png
Both shots above were taken near Everglades City Florida.
Below, both shops are shoals of Tilapines in a mountain lake in Panama
1711829743546.png1711829716977.png

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I wonder what lived there prior to some douche letting their under appreciated aquarium fish loose. Odd that the person narrating the vid seems to be celebrating irresponsible behavior.

HUKIT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Crystal Lake, Illinois
My dad lives in Florida and I can’t tell you how many urophthalmus, ocellatus, and midevils I’ve caught over the years. I was kinda neat the first time or two but after realizing just how many there are is kind of disturbing.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
There is a power plant on the NY coast near Long Island where one can find tropical salt water fishes. The current flows up the coast from the Caribbean and deposits them there.

• Wow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store