Iridescent Shark and Fire Eel Interaction Question

6erikar9

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2019
Hey all, I purchased a fire eel and an iridescent shark from my LFS. The shark isn't very active, and when it's still on the bottom for a long time the eel nudges it gently and it starts swimming again. I figured I'd QT them together because they came from the same store, and they're both young. The shark is maybe 2.5 inches and the eel is about 5. Is this an aggressive behaviour or something to look out for? They won't be together for long but if it's a bad behaviour I'd like to fix it asap.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should work out together. Will need a good size tank for swimming. Maybe still getting used to the tank. Does better in groups but give it time to settle.

Reactions: Rob909 and 6erikar9

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
The ones I had stuck to the top. As mentioned above, let it settle. The fire eel will be fine since their mouths are so small. The catfish will grow much faster than the fire eel. No aggression from what it sounds like, just the fire eel being curious.

Reactions: 6erikar9

6erikar9

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2019
Should work out together. Will need a good size tank for swimming. Maybe still getting used to the tank. Does better in groups but give it time to settle.
The ones I had stuck to the top. As mentioned above, let it settle. The fire eel will be fine since their mouths are so small. The catfish will grow much faster than the fire eel. No aggression from what it sounds like, just the fire eel being curious.
Thank you both! I'll keep watching them just in case but that makes me feel a lot better

Reactions: Rob909
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store