Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
X24;904469; said:
hope you have a big tank for this magnificant beast! pics wouldn't hurt.
Yes definitely unless it's the Gigas.:eek: Then I would just have to send him to his family in the river?:D

Lol just kidding, well what else could I do then? I was of course doing research online before buying and I got tired of the different max size displayed and when I asked the shopkeeper who is close to me, he told me it wouldn't grow so big, just over a foot...hmm, so it got me easy..looks like he didn't know..

The pangasius looks awesome though, looking forward to share pictures. He came close to the tubiflex worms floating on the surface and opened his mouth which was bigger than I expected! and ate it, just awesome! How do I sex a Pangasius? Big belly is female and slender looking is male?

tRiP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
ontario
www.youtube.com
I've had mine for a little over a year, very active fish, hates all other catfish in the tank, will kill them upon introduction or shortly after wards. He killed a TSN and 2 columbian "sharks". He's fine with plecos and everything else though. I'm pretty sure mine is the "regular" ID that you see in stores, my LFS just got some emperor ID sharks in, they look pretty cool, wider heads and higher dorsal fin.

Mine eats small pellets, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, blood worms, and small pieces of krill.

Here's a face shot of mine, water's dirty looking because I had just switched over to sand.

and here's a couple of body shots

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Wow check this I got pictures of the live specimen according to each species from Thailand Fishing website.

Giant Mekong Catfish / Pangasianodon Gigas:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_freshwater/pangasianodon_gigas.htm

Chao Phraya Catfish / Pangasius Sanitwongsei:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_freshwater/pangasius_sanitwongsei.htm

Sutchi Giant Catfish / Pangasius Hypothalamus:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_freshwater/pangasius_hypophthalmus.htm

Whiskered Catfish / Pangasius Macronema:
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_freshwater/pangasius_macronema.htm

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
tRIP, thank you very much for sharing those pictures. That is an awesome looking Pangasius, so that should be the Hypothalamus? Beautiful, how big is it? And in how many gal tank are you keeping it?

tRiP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
ontario
www.youtube.com
Cool links. Wasn't expecting that 4th one to be so small after looking at those beasts in the first 3 shots.

Right now I'd say its around 8 inches. Growing fairly slow. First I had him in the 120 for about 11 months, but had to move him to the 75 in May for awhile because my ornate poly kept going after it. Will be going into the 250 once I get that, then eventually 400.

You're welcome for the pics, I figured I'd post the pics since you can't get shots of yours right now :)

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
tRiP;904537; said:
Cool links. Wasn't expecting that 4th one to be so small after looking at those beasts in the first 3 shots.

Right now I'd say its around 8 inches. Growing fairly slow. First I had him in the 120 for about 11 months, but had to move him to the 75 in May for awhile because my ornate poly kept going after it. Will be going into the 250 once I get that, then eventually 400.

You're welcome for the pics, I figured I'd post the pics since you can't get shots of yours right now :)
Lol thanks a lot, and my Ornate Poly which is about 1 foot or a little over is going after everything in my 50 gal which includes a Florida Gar.:irked: Yes the Marconema is pretty small, didn't expect that myself. I wish you all the best with your Pangasius, definitely a great fish to have. How big was it when you baught? And has there been any colour changes?

tRiP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
ontario
www.youtube.com
Thanks. He's definately a very fun fish to watch, always moving and just bulldozes his way to the food whenever I drop something in.

He was about 3 inches when I bought it. He has fattened up A LOT though so at least I know he's still growing lol. When I first got him he was a silvery black with a white stomach, now he's usually the black top white stomach coloration, some days he lightens up and has a shiney silver color, but most of the time he's black on top.

Here's a picture of him when I got him

My ornate is around 14-15 inches, I got her in April as a birthday present. I took the shark out the next day because I noticed the poly stalking it. Tried putting the shark back in the 120 last week, but the next day it was looking a little beat up so back into the 75 it went.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
What kind of species is this? i got it for 3 weeks, it eats like a pig.. and very shy.. but it wont stop eating (even when the belly is all puff up and around)

Its hard to get a clear image, he moves a lot :nilly: and always hungry :irked:

Still a baby, a little over 2inches ^^

S3010010.JPG

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
tRIP, that is a great looking Pangasius, so it grew 5 inches more in 11 months time. Mine has not stopped swimming, he was swimming back and forth against the tank and now just going for rounds in the middle. He looks awesome. It seems you're gonna have to let your Pangasius grow bigger before trying with the Ornate again.

Fishes33, that is what my Pangasius looks like too. tRIP, did yours look like this or different? Is this the Hypothalamus? Thanks for sharing the picture Fishes33. High dorsal fin, brought tail...tRIP, why don't I see my Pangasius' dorsal fin resting against its back at all but just erect like a Shark's? Yes just like Fishes33's Pangasius.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
The first 3 pic you showed, when you start this thread, I think this is the exact fish as that.. I got this little guy as "Emperor Shark" and cost me $15 (canadain)

I believe this little guy is named Pangasius Sanitwongsei, because of the black tip of the dorsal fin..(but im not really sure)

Another fast image of the little shark with my little Angel :D

And i think tRIP id shark is the common one (dont know the name) but the snout and the top fin looks different.. :nilly:

CAJE0FZL.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store