Is 2217 good enough for 125G?

JLee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
MN
Topic.

I don't know what the stock will be, as I'm just making plans now. I will probably get some small fish, maybe 1-6", no bigger, and will (most likely) have live plants.

Please don't suggest Sump/Wet&Dry, I hate the way they look, I also don't like drilled tanks, and also don't like overflow boxes and PVC pipe in my FW tank. One more thing, please don't try and convince me about Sump/Wet&Dry, the reasons are above.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
I would go with two 2217's as well. One just isn't going to get the job done.

Now this may be a stupid question, why does it matter if you don't like the way a wet/dry looks if it is going to be under the tank? I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think they look awesome, if done right they can be a "work of art". :) Keep in mind I'm not trying to change your mind, I use canisters on two of my tanks and they do a great job.

JLee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
MN
LowCel;3068864; said:
Now this may be a stupid question, why does it matter if you don't like the way a wet/dry looks if it is going to be under the tank?
I just don't like how they look real messy, and moldy looking. For a sump/wet&dry to work it needs overflow boxes, diy pvc pipe o-flows, or drilled holes. I just don't like the way they look.

I know Canisters has inlet, and outlet tubes in the tank, but they just look cleaner in my opinion.

So a 2217 will not work out, no matter what?

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
JLee;3068913; said:
I just don't like how they look real messy, and moldy looking. For a sump/wet&dry to work it needs overflow boxes, diy pvc pipe o-flows, or drilled holes. I just don't like the way they look.

I know Canisters has inlet, and outlet tubes in the tank, but they just look cleaner in my opinion.

For very little stocking ,Tons of plants and lots of water changes it may work.
I would also go with two of them. Or spend the extra 60 bucks and get an FX5 and you can have great stocking and plenty of filtration.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
JLee;3068913; said:

If you only have one or two fish (non-monsters) you could probably get by with a 2217.

Thanks for your explanation on your reason for not caring for wet/dry. Personally I still believe it is neater but that is just me and not really the point of this thread so I will quit going off topic. :D

On aside note since you are talking about wanting to keep your tank neat you should probably check out hydor external heaters. You can run them on the return line from your canister. I use them on my 210 and I have had a lot of luck with them. It's nice not having heaters in the tank.

Here is a link to the heater I am referring to. http://www.petsolutions.com/External-Thermal-Heater+I41400018+C1021.aspx

JLee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
MN
tcarswell;3069272; said:
For very little stocking ,Tons of plants and lots of water changes it may work.
I would also go with two of them. Or spend the extra 60 bucks and get an FX5 and you can have great stocking and plenty of filtration.
Where can I find a Fx5 for $210? All the ones I'd seen were $300+.

LowCel;3069288; said:
Thanks for your explanation on your reason for not caring for wet/dry.

On aside note since you are talking about wanting to keep your tank neat you should probably check out hydor external heaters. You can run them on the return line from your canister. I use them on my 210 and I have had a lot of luck with them. It's nice not having heaters in the tank.
No problem.

Yes those heaters look very good. One thing that is bothering me though is, what if your flow is too slow, or too fast?

The Rat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
UK
LowCel;3068864; said:
I think they look awesome, if done right they can be a "work of art". :)
LOL and all this time I thought I was the only one that loves his sumps as much as the tank & fish :ROFL:

I am planning my new sump now for my next set-up always got to improve over the last one :grinno:

Rat

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
I think it'll be fine if you fill it with Ehfisubstrat Pro but that is expensive in itself. Also, for a 125 you'd need a pump or powerhead to circulate the water in addition to the 2217.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Fry;3073183; said:
I think it'll be fine if you fill it with Ehfisubstrat Pro but that is expensive in itself. Also, for a 125 you'd need a pump or powerhead to circulate the water in addition to the 2217.
The Classics come with EHFI Media. I have a 2217 and a 2215 on my 120G.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store