Is a 96 x 24 x 24 big enough for an adult Giant Gourami?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Imho for an adult-sized Giant Gourami no, you would eventually need a bigger tank. You be the judge, these are about 20" to 24" GG, and they'll get even bigger:

As I think some people have mentioned to you on different threads, 24" width is a big limiting factor when it comes to keeping MONSTER sized fish -- 2' is ok for growing most fish out, but just be prepared to face the fact that if you're successful in getting the fish to adult size, you will very likely need a bigger tank

Btw, why the fixation with 24" -- is that the maximum space your intended location has? Isn't there anywhere else you could put a wider tank?

Last edited:

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Stop posting so many threads keep it in one

• Haha
Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Different fish. Different topic.
You have made 36 threads in the last 20 days asking for everything.. you can easily google or use the search function here. And if you have that many questions maybe you shouldn’t keep the fish you’re wanting and do a lot more research and wait a couple more years before you even get it. My point is STOP MAKING THREADS. It’s frustrating to be honest. You ask a hundred different question in a hundred different thread....Stop being lazy and do your own research. If not just bundle it into a general “hey I don’t know anything” thread.

And also nothing you’re wanting to keep is pioneering... they’ve have been kept for centuries.. so there’s plenty of information out there about giant gourami size and min tank requirement.... you can literally look it up... if not PM your concierge fishhead and he’ll look up anything for you

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
You have made 36 threads in the last 20 days asking for everything.. you can easily google or use the search function here. And if you have that many questions maybe you shouldn’t keep the fish you’re wanting and do a lot more research and wait a couple more years before you even get it. My point is STOP MAKING THREADS. It’s frustrating to be honest. You ask a hundred different question in a hundred different thread....Stop being lazy and do your own research. If not just bundle it into a general “hey I don’t know anything” thread.
Anyone with any sense knows that simply googling for information is not the best way of finding things out. That the information you gather from it may not be accurate. You learn that in public school. But I have googled, done my research and I have seen the information. What I learned with Piraya is the information available on the internet is not accurate compared to what people say here. I'd rather get information from experienced people then some random nobody creating a page for views. So that's why I have made so many threads. Because I respect the majority of people on here (Cough Cough) and would like to create discussion. I don't see the harm in asking questions. If it bothers you, you may kindly go somewhere else.

As well, if you want to discuss your childish frustrations then you can PM me. Hijacking a thread that is asking a legitimate question to berate and insult the OP, on top of being off topic is not appropriate in my mind and has no place in the public eye of this forum.

Imho for an adult-sized Giant Gourami no, you would eventually need a bigger tank. You be the judge, these are about 20" to 24" GG, and they'll get even bigger:

As I think some people have mentioned to you on different threads, 24" width is a big limiting factor when it comes to keeping MONSTER sized fish -- 2' is ok for growing most fish out, but just be prepared to face the fact that if you're successful in getting the fish to adult size, you will very likely need a bigger tank

Btw, why the fixation with 24" -- is that the maximum space your intended location has? Isn't there anywhere else you could put a wider tank?
Well I can either do 96 x 24 x 24 or 72 x 30 x 24. 36" would be too much for the space I have as well as add too much weight onto the floor joists. I'm getting an 18" Piraya soon and need to house him and was told 96 x 24 x 24 would be suitable. But then I started to think about what kinds of things I would like to house in the future. I asked on the forums because I need to know ASAP as my tank is already being built but they said I could change if I wanted.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've got a RTGG. I got it at 3" and I put him in a 6x2x2 . I knew how big he was going to get and as a result I had a plan in place to eventually upgrade. Looking back i didn't really upgrade as soon as I should have though. When he reached about 13-14" he started throwing wobblers, just thrashing at the surface, and it got gradually worse. By the time I eventually upgraded he was 15" and very thick. His thrashing was violent.

Fast forward a few months and he's now in a 72x48" footprint with extra depth as well. And low and behold he hasn't splashed once. He's proper chilled and he even gets on with his tankmates, an added bonus because I heard male RTGG's could be killer bullies.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that even at 13-14" in a 24" wide tank he felt cramped and that's why he thrashed violently.

So, to be honest IMO your 96x24 footprint is not really suitable for a piraya, which may reach 18", or a datnoid, which could get even bigger, and certainly not a GG which, depending on which type you get, could max out at 24".

Try it and you may have a very moody fish on your hands and you'll find yourself mopping the floor a lot!

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I've got a RTGG. I got it at 3" and I put him in a 6x2x2 . I knew how big he was going to get and as a result I had a plan in place to eventually upgrade. Looking back i didn't really upgrade as soon as I should have though. When he reached about 13-14" he started throwing wobblers, just thrashing at the surface, and it got gradually worse. By the time I eventually upgraded he was 15" and very thick. His thrashing was violent.

Fast forward a few months and he's now in a 72x48" footprint with extra depth as well. And low and behold he hasn't splashed once. He's proper chilled and he even gets on with his tankmates, an added bonus because I heard male RTGG's could be killer bullies.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that even at 13-14" in a 24" wide tank he felt cramped and that's why he thrashed violently.

So, to be honest IMO your 96x24 footprint is not really suitable for a piraya, which may reach 18", or a datnoid, which could get even bigger, and certainly not a GG which, depending on which type you get, could max out at 24".

Try it and you may have a very moody fish on your hands and you'll find yourself mopping the floor a lot!
Thank you so much for your response! I have the choice between a 96 x 24 x 24 and a 72 x 30 x 24. Can't do 36" width at the moment. Would you think the 72 x 30 x 24 would be okay for an 18" Piraya? Or would the 96" length still be needed? I know Piranha in general need length vs width but width is always nice. I'm thinking if I go with a 96 x 24 x 24 I'll just keep it as a Piranha tank and then if I venture outside of Piranha I'll just have a 72 x 30 or a 72 x 36 built. But I would like to build a tank right now that would be good for other fish in the future as well.

Would a 72 x 30 x 24 be better then? Maybe not for GG but for a Datnoid? Would the 72 be long enough for a Piraya? I've been told by multiple piranha keepers that 96 x 24 is enough so this is why I ask. They have said that 72 may not be long enough and that Piranha need length over width.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I think you should keep off threads you're not interested in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store