Is anything safe with E. Americanus Americanus?

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
So I have been thinking about getting a Redfin for a tank im planning, but along with this I am planning to grab some trout like fish, somthing that is about 6-7 inches long, just big enough to not be eaten by a bichir, but not too big for the tank im planning.
So would E. Americanus ravage those precious little fish?!
I mean they are pike, but they are also tiny pike.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have been thinking about getting a Redfin for a tank im planning, but along with this I am planning to grab some trout like fish, somthing that is about 6-7 inches long, just big enough to not be eaten by bichir, but not too big for the tank im planning.
So would E. Americanus ravage those precious little fish?!
I mean they are pike, but they are also tiny pike.
Many years was a teenager my neighbor went fishing and came over with a small pike. I had no knowledge of what specie at the time. My mother placed the pike or pickerel in a 125g with Oscars and catfish that were larger. It didn't survive long although it was eating live goldfish feeders at the time. I believe it died from the aquarium water temperature or possibly the feeders.
It was very interesting especially the speed of catching prey.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
It depends on how well you keep your redfin feed. If he is hungry is likely to launch attacks against almost anything that moves. But if you keep him well fed, and gambusia would be his food of choice, he will probably leave anything he couldn't swallow alone. Personally I love those redfins, I once caught a melanistic version of this fish... it was beautiful! vivid reds and very dark greens bordered by deep black. They can and will jump out through any hole they can find.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store