Is having a heater on a timer okay?

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
I have a 300w Marineland heater (https://www.amazon.com/MarineLand-Precision-Saltwater-Freshwater-Aquariums/dp/B00NETRY44) which of course seems to get stuck on and never really turn off. Even though I have the thermostat set to 73 degrees, the tank is always at 80-83 degrees.

As a workaround, can I just put this on a timer? Currently I have it turning on/off every hour or so. So an hour on, an hour off, an hour on...

Will this harm the heater at all? Or are there any consequences I am missing here?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The best thing to get is a heater controller like the blue inkbird. Set it to turn on after it drops by 1 degree, and it will turn off at the desired temperature.

You Marineland is probably not working that well anymore, so I would replace it as well as get the controller. It will stop future problems like that from happening.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
It sounds like the heater is faulty so I would just replace it. I think having it on the timer wouldnt give a very stable temperature in the tank.
Heaters are almost a disposable item, you have to accept they break down and need to be replaced every so often.

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I will add a faulty heater isn’t anything to try to work around.
I’ve seen them explode. Granted these were older models. One blew so violently that it busted the back glass out.

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
The crazy thing is I have not had this thing very long. I ordered it on January 14, 2020. I guess the Marineland heaters are as crappy as legend has it.

Rocksor Rocksor I appreciate the heater controller suggestion. But I wonder if for $30 I should just put that toward a new, higher quality, heater.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The crazy thing is I have not had this thing very long. I ordered it on January 14, 2020. I guess the Marineland heaters are as crappy as legend has it.

Rocksor Rocksor I appreciate the heater controller suggestion. But I wonder if for $30 I should just put that toward a new, higher quality, heater.
Entirely up to you. A heater controller is a good investment if you plan to be in the hobby more than a few years

Reactions: FIU Panther

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
The best thing to get is a heater controller like the blue inkbird. Set it to turn on after it drops by 1 degree, and it will turn off at the desired temperature.

You Marineland is probably not working that well anymore, so I would replace it as well as get the controller. It will stop future problems like that from happening.
+1 on that
I've been using inkbirds in conjunction with cheap heater for years with no problems. You can get the prewired one or the itc-1000 they both work great. the stc has an alarm, at least the inkbird brand does.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I have a 300w Marineland heater (https://www.amazon.com/MarineLand-Precision-Saltwater-Freshwater-Aquariums/dp/B00NETRY44) which of course seems to get stuck on and never really turn off. Even though I have the thermostat set to 73 degrees, the tank is always at 80-83 degrees.

As a workaround, can I just put this on a timer? Currently I have it turning on/off every hour or so. So an hour on, an hour off, an hour on...

Will this harm the heater at all? Or are there any consequences I am missing here?
First thing, don't trust the gauge on the thermostat. They are inaccurate at best. If the tank is a steady 80, turn the heater down.
And replace the heater if that doesn't do it. Inkbird and similar are great backups, but it's stupid to rely on that to cover for a faulty heater.

Reactions: FESHMAN

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8

This one is also cheaper at $15 but you can fit it to your stand to monitor the temperature. You have to do the wiring but it's really simple and well explained in the manual.

Either this one or the prewired one, better than the idea you had in plan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store