Is it normal?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
as far as air-breathing fishes, there are many, and it doesn't get much better than Jeffrey Graham's Air-breathing fishes in terms of the account of such fishes. in terms of (distantly) related air-breathers, other fishes that fall into this category are the lungfishes, bichirs, bowfins, arapaimatidae (arapaimas and African bonytongues), old-world knife fishes, and onward through the teleosts--
--solomon

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Thanks solomon. Can you shed any light on the filtration question for me? Do gars produce a lot of waste that calls for mass filtration?

thaos95

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
wisconsin
how bigs your gars? I have two 14" longnose and they produce a-lot of waste. Not as bad now because I got them taking foodsticks instead of feeders.

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
I haven't gotten them yet. They're being held for me at a fish shop. I wanted to learn about them and make sure they're coming home to a perfect environment before I purchase (especially for $400) lol. They are between 14-16" and they are on pellets.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
400 is really expensive. also, i believe he was talkin to the op. r u the OP?

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Yes sorry I posted under my boyfriend's account (shua) 400 is expensive but they are so hard to come by around here I am willing to pay it. Just makes me really nervous because If I lost these guys to something I did wrong, I would be very unhappy!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
bahamaqt00;3889262; said:
Yes sorry I posted under my boyfriend's account (shua) 400 is expensive but they are so hard to come by around here I am willing to pay it. Just makes me really nervous because If I lost these guys to something I did wrong, I would be very unhappy!
probably also quite expensive out there since gars are illegal in WA :irked: --
--solomon

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
All the fish places have told me that only the crocodile gar is illegal. I have seen Florida gars at very small sizes a couple times around town. But I believe I have just a spotted gar. (see my other thread that has pictures attached-in the gar media lounge)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
bahamaqt00;3889899; said:
All the fish places have told me that only the crocodile gar is illegal. I have seen Florida gars at very small sizes a couple times around town. But I believe I have just a spotted gar. (see my other thread that has pictures attached-in the gar media lounge)
you have a Florida gar. spotted gars are actually pretty rare in the hobby, and most gars in the hobby that have spots on them (and look similar to spotted gars) are Florida gars.

fish places can tell you one thing, but they're usually wrong...especially in saying "crocodile" gars are illegal...technically, there is no such thing as a crocodile gar...it's just a common name given to a hybrid gar from many years ago. they may be talking about alligator gars, which are a true species of their own. all that being said, any fish store that actually has illegal fish is going to deny that said fish is illegal.

i'll have to re-check the records, but last time i read through them all members of Lepisosteidae (true gars) were illegal in states on the west coast (not that that keeps people out there from keeping them).--
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
i'll have to re-check the records, but last time i read through them all members of Lepisosteidae (true gars) were illegal in states on the west coast (not that that keeps people out there from keeping them).--
--solomon
No need to re-check it is all Lepisosteidae...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store