Is it overstocked?

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
Sounds like your getting opinions from people who dont even have a large tank or have not looked at said fish in a large system. A large arowana yes will take up some room but not half the tank at all. The stingray as well is not going to require half the tank.
My personal opinion is that those type of fish you selected will have a hard time getting along together and your likely to get some loss overtime. During my time and changing many fish in my system I have learned what does and does not work. This is a lesson you will have to learn as well. The helpful part is to have another tank you can move some fish into when they do not work out with the others. But picking the best choices at start is best. Like for example the rays will require the whole bottom of the tank so plan no other bottom fish.

Also your filtration will have a hard time keeping up with a system(well probably just wont do well at all really) that large your going to need some serious flow to keep the water moving. Take a look at my thread below.

Sent from Samsung Note 2
Thank You very much and yes I will read your post, hope it helps

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Well I can give you my stock list and sizes and filtration and I can tell you, to me
, my tank is not overstocked. Fish have plenty of space but I occasionally have aggression between them. I actually had to move 2 rays out because my tigrinus cat was mixing it up with them for some reason.
Tank is 750g 180g sump flowing 4000-6000gph. One pump is on a timer with UV that only runs a few hours a day.
Arowana 24-27"
Tigrinus cat 28"
3 datnoids 14-18"
2 gars 24-28"
Red snook 14"
2 peacock bass 14"
Motoro ray 16"
I recently got rid of one marble self in cat 18" and I moved two rays out they were 8-12"
Tank is on a auto water changer that does 80g a night As long as I feed every other day, my aggression isn't bad at all I hope that helps a little bit

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
OP, it's not overstock, but it's definitely under filtration.

some of those I consider to be more pond fish than tank fish, like the barramundi and possibly the motoro ray. A fish that can get above 4 foot like the barramundi simply isn't going to work for life, depending on the fish 3 foot seems like it could be too much. For the ray, any ray that can get 30 inches in disc size or larger would seem awfully cramped in a 4 foot wide tank. The gar is also on the border here someone who has them can comment better, but I've seen many with that spine issue from being in too cramped a space.

the others all seem fine to me. Also it might take a while for the 3 above to outgrow the tank, just know that they likely will.
Do you have any idea how long does it take for a 3ft barramundi to grow into 4ft? How can a 30" diameter flat fish will be awfully cramped in a 120x48x24 cubic inches?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Sounds like your getting opinions from people who dont even have a large tank or have not looked at said fish in a large system. A large arowana yes will take up some room but not half the tank at all. The stingray as well is not going to require half the tank.
My personal opinion is that those type of fish you selected will have a hard time getting along together and your likely to get some loss overtime. During my time and changing many fish in my system I have learned what does and does not work. This is a lesson you will have to learn as well. The helpful part is to have another tank you can move some fish into when they do not work out with the others. But picking the best choices at start is best. Like for example the rays will require the whole bottom of the tank so plan no other bottom fish.

Also your filtration will have a hard time keeping up with a system(well probably just wont do well at all really) that large your going to need some serious flow to keep the water moving. Take a look at my thread below.

Sent from Samsung Note 2
Ditto!

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
concur w/ the filtration.. 2 fx6's aren't gonna do the job. as for stocking ect as always depends on your bio-capacity ( filtration) and aggression/territorial tendancies ( each fish is different and a lot of times you simply do not know how they will play until you try)

For what your original posts suggests.. yes your over-stocked... but imo its more a filtration/mechanical issue then a to big a fish in too small a tank ect...

That being said I don't keep any of the fish on your list atm other then Gar.. and imho they are a fish that generally need to be worked around, not a filler fish if you will. I keep 5 gar and 2 catfish in a 1000gal pool and imho its "just right" I will likely add some more smaller gar down the road or another catfish ect. But I do water changes bi-weekly and don't have to worry if I miss one that everything will die if I don't get to it tomorrow.

You can always add to an understocked set-up but in an over-stocked one fatalities are almost always guaranteed not just filtration wise but aggression/territorial wise ime.

my 2 biggest fish have a reputation for killing and eating their tank-mates *knocks on wood* I have yet to lose one of my smaller gar or my cats ( when they where smaller) to these 2 big beasts, imho a large part of that is space, and foot-print being able to give everyone their room to breath. They have killed other gar, rays, ect... either I have a horseshoe somewhere less then pleasant or my theory is at least in part right. feeding also likely plays a roll in this.

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
Thank You very much for all the help, I will invest in building a sump. and I have decided In no barramundi and 1 Cichla because from my original list I already have the L's, Chitala, Gars, Gourami, Dat and Sorubim Lima

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store