Is it possible for a 19" spotted gar to eat a 4.5" datnoid?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Gar wouldn't be able to swallow him whole. There would most likely be a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You can be surprised how the gar handled that well. To be fair a 4" datnoid isn't very deep bodied either. I've found 3-4" sunfish in shortnose gars' stomach contents quite regularly so.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
The biggest question is what is the little guy doing in a tank full of large predatory fishes?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
You can be surprised how the gar handled that well. To be fair a 4" datnoid isn't very deep bodied either. I've found 3-4" sunfish in shortnose gars' stomach contents quite regularly so.
I think the gar did it. He did not eat for almost a whole week and I noticed his stomach is still pretty meaty tonight. A fish that did not eat for a week should have a sunken stomach. I am still shocked he was able to swallow a datnoid. It was a good size NTT and have lived with the bass for 3 months without any issue.

The biggest question is what is the little guy doing in a tank full of large predatory fishes?
he live with the basses several months with no issues. This tank was used as a growout tank. I recently moved the gar in there because it scratched my show tank. He never show any sign of aggression toward my baby bichirs so I thought it might be ok.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I think the gar did it. He did not eat for almost a whole week and I noticed his stomach is still pretty meaty tonight. A fish that did not eat for a week should have a sunken stomach. I am still shocked he was able to swallow a datnoid. It was a good size NTT and have lived with the bass for 3 months without any issue.

he live with the basses several months with no issues. This tank was used as a growout tank. I recently moved the gar in there because it scratched my show tank. He never show any sign of aggression toward my baby bichirs so I thought it might be ok.
sunken stomach after a week? gee, I had my gar go through 4 months with out eating anything last winter and they look pretty much the same. And both the gar and the bass can swallow it.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
You gotta keep em well fed if your tempting fate like that! my lesson was learned when i found nothing left of my Heckelli but its head.. and a fat looking red wolf fish

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
You gotta keep em well fed if your tempting fate like that! my lesson was learned when i found nothing left of my Heckelli but its head.. and a fat looking red wolf fish
i agreed. I tried to keep him well fed but the darn bass and dats were just too quick to snatch the food. I even tried with feeding tongs but he won't strike.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Mystery solved. The gar was being hungry.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Sneaky bastard fish. Now I know how he ambushed the poor dat.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
That's true, I mean if 4'' is a generous estimate I could see it happening. But it'd be really obvious--your Gar would look strangely fat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store