Is it really that hard?

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
bbboys;4346175; said:
I have an extra glass 30g cube laying around what would it take to set it up as salt? And what would be the easiest beginner way to set it up?
When I first started i basically had nothing but an aqua clear and a heater.. I didn't know how to mix salt water so I'd just buy it for 50 cents a gallon at the LFS and use that to make water changes. Just remember to top off with fresh water. Of course I had clowns and damsels which are the easiest fishes to keep

snakebite22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2008
USA
Honestly the most beating of a saltwater tank I've ever had was a 14g bio cube easiest tank I've ever had as saltwater was a 300g so I'd say the bigger the easier.

bbboys

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
San Diego CA
So what should I look into as far as filtration (would a eheim pro 2 work?) fish only or reef or lighting (have a current usa dual compact floresant daylight fixture with moonlights would that work?) or anything else I would need to get or know?

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
In the world of salt, bigger is better. Bigger tank means more stability.

Like others have said, the initial setup/cost is the biggest burden, but once tank stabilizes, it's no more difficult than a FW setup.

If you go with fish only, the lighting you have will be fine. A cannister filter can work, you just have to be disciplined in cleaning it often. If not, nitrates can build up real fast.

You'll definitely want to get a skimmer, you're playing with fire without one, imho.

You'll also want to get some live rock to help with bio filtration, although there are plenty of tanks that don't use it. It's just easier with it.

Just do your research and if you've been keeping FW tanks for a while, you'll have no problems with SW.

Good luck!

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
the main reason that people say it's hard you ask? because they've never done it themselves

as far as tank the bigger the better (as is the case in Freshwater as well). other than that the key things are the same as in freshwater
1. keep the water as clean as possible
2. keep fish well fed with the best foods
3. buy fish that are already healthy/thriving
4. tank/water stability
5. do research on the species needs and if you can meet them before purchase
6. enjoy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store