Is it viable to use nails instead of screws on a stand?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
screws, w/ pilot holes allow for a more finished look. Also, with a decent drill its very quick. this is all in addition to structural benefits.
Ah that's the thing I was gonna save up for. Knew I wanted a faster drill awhile ago but forgot about it and never got it. Sticking with the ryobi for now.
That's just personal preference. I would much rather go for some loud, erotic hammering than a gentle, romantic screwing. But that's just me.
Also this

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Ah that's the thing I was gonna save up for. Knew I wanted a faster drill awhile ago but forgot about it and never got it. Sticking with the ryobi for now.

Also this
I know everyone loves their cordless but I wouldn't trade my porter cable corded for anything. I do also have a bargain priced Hercules drill from harbor freight probably the only thing worthwhile I've gotten from them TBH

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Do I only get that comically high instantaneously drilling/screwing torque with corded? I'd imagine cordless batteries can only handle so much torque in proportion to their battery life.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Do I only get that comically high instantaneously drilling/screwing torque with corded? I'd imagine cordless batteries can only handle so much torque in proportion to their battery life.
There's definitely some higher end cordless drills that pack the same punch. for my purposes the spend didnt' make sense but i also dont have time to wait for batteries to charge.
for me its always the same combo of being frugal and impatient

Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
There's definitely some higher end cordless drills that pack the same punch. for my purposes the spend didnt' make sense but i also dont have time to wait for batteries to charge.
for me its always the same combo of being frugal and impatient
on that note i think a corded is for me

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It was only quite recently that I got a cordless battery powered combi drill, after years of using a corded one. I was one of those who continually "persuaded" myself that a cordless one was not unnecessary.

But now I wish I had changed years ago. Modern batteries have a lot of long lasting power, and if you have a spare battery too, then waiting for batteries to charge never happens.

No need to carry extension leads about on jobs far from a socket, no need to constantly be afraid of tripping over a flex, and the worse one for me is when you're precariously balanced on a ladder whilst doing a job and the flex may wrap around your legs/feet.

Cordless all the way for me now.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
It was only quite recently that I got a cordless battery powered combi drill, after years of using a corded one. I was one of those who continually "persuaded" myself that a cordless one was not unnecessary.

But now I wish I had changed years ago. Modern batteries have a lot of long lasting power, and if you have a spare battery too, then waiting for batteries to charge never happens.

No need to carry extension leads about on jobs far from a socket, no need to constantly be afraid of tripping over a flex, and the worse one for me is when you're precariously balanced on a ladder whilst doing a job and the flex may wrap around your legs/feet.

Cordless all the way for me now.
I would absolutely make the investment if it was something that I needed more than 1-2x a year

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Unfortunately for me my spare battery fried so once my battery dies mid project it's another half day wait before I can finish. That's not to say once it does charge it's not like it doesn't last another week, but for my purposes (and impatience) I'd like the corded.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
[
I just got one of these two days ago.

Wasn't expecting a free gift with the purchase. Got the $169 flood light.
Terrific tool kit. We use those constantly on my current jobsite; they are practically bulletproof. We have about 80 units, including a dozen or so that are still humming after 4 years of more or less constant use...equivalent to a few lifetimes of domestic use.

Corded drills? Do they still make and sell those things? Or are you hunting one down in an antique shop? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store