Is my convict a hybrid?

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
It's been a while since I was last active here. This is my female convict that I've been keeping for the last few weeks now. She was getting beat up at the LFS by a much larger Red Devil so I took pity on her. She's coloured up significantly since.

The odd thing is that she looks almost too colourful (not that I'm complaining mind you). I've never seen such a vibrant convict in any other store or even on google search. Her stripes are also greenish-yellow instead of black. Is she a hybrid of some sort? And if so, what do you think the cross was?

Screen_Shot_2019-07-05_at_10.08.55_PM.png

Reactions: Matteus

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's been a while since I was last active here. This is my female convict that I've been keeping for the last few weeks now. She was getting beat up at the LFS by a much larger Red Devil so I took pity on her. She's coloured up significantly since.

The odd thing is that she looks almost too colourful (not that I'm complaining mind you). I've never seen such a vibrant convict in any other store or even on google search. Her stripes are also greenish-yellow instead of black. Is she a hybrid of some sort? And if so, what do you think the cross was?

View attachment 1379150
Jexnell Jexnell

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Either a really pretty pure female or a convict with HRP cross. My guess would be stunning pure con female.

Currently standing on the curb at the taco stand with e female con in a bag on the passenger seat. I hope she turns out as nice as yours once she grows her tail back. Also was a trade in from a tank where she was getting shredded

Reactions: Jexnell

TommyNY

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2018
Could be crossed with Honduran red point. Very similar to convicts with lots of blues greens in females

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Could be a Kanna, or what others have mentioned. Hard saying, was it something the LFS ordered or a surrender.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Further looking maybe pure nigrofasciata or a cross with HRPs. Kanna have orange pectoral fins.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
duanes duanes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are certain fish like those in the convict group, or red devol/midas groups that (out of ignorance have been thought to be one species for years/decades), only to find out, they are in reallity many species. So for years have been crossbred in aquariums(I had my first convicts in the mid 1950s when all Amatitlania were Archocentrus nigrofasciatus). So unless they have catch point provinance, must be considered aquarium strains, and probable hybrids.
So... it looks like it could be a very nicely raised, dominant colored convict to me, or as others noted, part something else of the clade like an HRP or.....?, no way to be certain without a DNA test.
Here are HRPs to compare.

male above, female below

easy to see how confusion (especially with females) is possible.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Duanes hit the nail on the head; we won't be able to tell you if there's a trace of kanna or hrp blood in the convict. And the fish are closely related so it doesn't matter much unless you wanted to breed and distribute them.
I've seem plenty of female convicts that look similar to this. My guess is you got a pretty female convict.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store