MFK Member
Apr 22, 2020
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi guys,

I had a large male Acara fish in my community 4ft tank going really well. I had him for 1 year and he is 2 years old, but yesterday he suddenly changed and went off eating. He turned a neon whiteish colour and kept in the corner. That arvo he died. I was really confused and didn't know why that happened. I did a water change and checked on the other fish and they seem healthy. Today I went to the tank and noticed my other male Acara doing the same thing, he hasn't past away yet and but he hasn't ate, lost colour and has kept to the corner. I don't know whats wrong and I really need some help as I don't want him to pass aswell.

Along with him I have two red jewels, a young fribenses female, a small female acara and two red head geophagus, who are all doing fine and not showing any signs. The tank is stocked with just a few Anubis plants attached to some rocks.

If anyone has any input that would be amazing.

15876074107632814694183716707356.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looking at ur numbers, the tank isn’t cycled. Fish will get stressed from bad water and not eat. Need to increase ur water changes to biweekly along with water number checks. How old is the tank? What’s ur filtration?

TayAnne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2020
Looking at ur numbers, the tank isn’t cycled. Fish will get stressed from bad water and not eat. Need to increase ur water changes to biweekly along with water number checks. How old is the tank? What’s ur filtration?
It's 1 year old and my filtration is a power head filter inside the tank and an external canister filter outside of it. And so should I do two water changes a week? And I am working on ammonia to get it to 0 but considering nitrite and nitrate were 0 I thought they were all good?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's 1 year old and my filtration is a power head filter inside the tank and an external canister filter outside of it. And so should I do two water changes a week? And I am working on ammonia to get it to 0 but considering nitrite and nitrate were 0 I thought they were all good?
Are u using a dechlorinator with ur water changes? I would do water changes twice a week and add bacteria in a bottle. Goal is get ammonia stays down and/or goes to 0. The ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate should be less than 40ppm in a cycle tank.

TayAnne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2020
No I don't, im on rain water so I didn't think it was necassary. And yeah ill do that the next water change.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No I don't, im on rain water so I didn't think it was necassary. And yeah ill do that the next water change.
Rain water? Are u collecting from outside? Is it being treated before u use it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store