Is my gar a gator?

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
DolphinRyan;2841409; said:
Look at that snout!

I thought people may be right when i saw it yawn yesturday evening and it looks to have 2 rows of teeth on the top jaw which i am not sure but i believe is specific to the gator gar?

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
The growth rate slows down after 2ft.. And they are the most aggressive gar species..so watch out for the other fish..

All gar species have 2 rows of teeth..Mainly visible in the Alligator, Tropical and Cuban gars..

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Weylin;2841434; said:
The growth rate slows down after 2ft.. And they are the most aggressive gar species..so watch out for the other fish..

All gar species have 2 rows of teeth..Mainly visible in the Alligator, Tropical and Cuban gars..

Well i spend a lot of time sat infront of that tank so i will be sure to keep an eye out for my other fish.

Ah ok sorry my inexperience with gars showing there, he looks scary when he strikes for food.:eek:

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Tom500;2841402; said:
Thanks for the kind words but i hate you for saying its a gator lol (jk)
I dont have room for a full grown gator how quickly will it outgrow my 350G or whats a gators growth rate after 18":eek::confused:
then you should have researched before buying the gar:grinno:

start planning on what to do with it it'll start attacking tankmates soon. good luck! and beautiful fish:p

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
xander;2842075; said:
then you should have researched before buying the gar:grinno:

start planning on what to do with it it'll start attacking tankmates soon. good luck! and beautiful fish:p

I tried it looks a lot like a spotted/florida so i thought fair enough.
I am thinking about what im going to do with it, i hope it doesnt attack its tank mates anytime soon.
Thanks it is a nice fish.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Tom500;2842116; said:
I tried it looks a lot like a spotted/florida so i thought fair enough.
I am thinking about what im going to do with it, i hope it doesnt attack my tank mates anytime soon.
Thanks it is a nice fish.
i agree, great looking fish! best of luck with it...if you were in the states i'd know a number of places which would be willing take it off your hands.

that being said, a little more effort into researching the species would have led you to the proper ID. i do remember quite a detailed debate/discussion between you and xander in his photo thread about gar tank sizes, etc. just note that at least as much effort should be put into ID'ing a fish properly before taking it on (whenever possible).

good luck with the fish--
--solomon

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
just goes to show that you can't trust anyone when buying a fish that they are selling you what they are telling you they are.

I would "get rid" of it as soon as you can if you know you can't properly house it (and it'll in all likelihood start attacking your other fish).

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
E_americanus;2842201; said:
i agree, great looking fish! best of luck with it...if you were in the states i'd know a number of places which would be willing take it off your hands.

that being said, a little more effort into researching the species would have led you to the proper ID. i do remember quite a detailed debate/discussion between you and xander in his photo thread about gar tank sizes, etc. just note that at least as much effort should be put into ID'ing a fish properly before taking it on (whenever possible).

good luck with the fish--
--solomon

Thanks im not in any rush and ill make sure it will go to a great home.
Yes i know i slipped up i know the guy very well and have done for quite some time, i did a little research on here before and it did look a lot like a florida/spotted gar, i assumed (thats where i went wrong) he was reliable and it looked like one so it must be a florida, as it turns out its a gator, it was a bit of a mess-up. Sorry

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
pwmin;2842236; said:
just goes to show that you can't trust anyone when buying a fish that they are selling you what they are telling you they are.

I would "get rid" of it as soon as you can if you know you can't properly house it (and it'll in all likelihood start attacking your other fish).

Yep i have a habbit of learning things the hard way lol:D

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Tom500;2842916; said:
Thanks im not in any rush and ill make sure it will go to a great home.
Yes i know i slipped up i know the guy very well and have done for quite some time, i did a little research on here before and it did look a lot like a florida/spotted gar, i assumed (thats where i went wrong) he was reliable and it looked like one so it must be a florida, as it turns out its a gator, it was a bit of a mess-up. Sorry
no need to apologize about the situation man, ID'ing gars is not easy by any means. knowing what looks similar to others or different, however, does help us all learn how to better ID the fishes AND provide better info.

if you're able to hang on to that gator, go for it...it's a great looking fish. if not, i'm sure you'll be able to find a good home for it. makes me miss some of the larger specimens i have kept in the past!--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store