Is my stand no longuer good?

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Hello,

I've bough a 70ish gal from some dude who didn't understand what he was doing.
He drilled 2 holes at the top "frame" of the fishtank to pass some cables for the light.
He didn't seal anything. The condensation leak inside the "frame" (because the hollow inside the frame was easily accessible) and out of the aquarium. It showed on the outside part of the glass, but wasn't much of a deal if the waterline was lower.

I had filter issues and had to replace it. The aqueon I've got one came with 2 "polishing filters".
I've already considered having 2 canisters, so I thought those won't change much, but can't hurt (wrong!).

1608015187396.png
The polishers moved overnight (cat? ghost? aliens?).
This resulted in water dropping on the aquarium light and going to the drilled hole and leak from the side wheret he out pipe of the filter comes in.

I've had water on the floor one day and had to clean everything up and dry. This was in October.
I've hot-glued the holes and made "paths" for the water to go back to the aquarium before it reaches "the critical corner".
I know it's better to silicone it, but I have no place where to put the fish and this is an one bedroom appartment.
I can't let it cure outside, the fishtank might be broken or stolen unless I sit and watch it for the amount of time it takes to cure.
Also, now it's too late since it snows outside.

I've noticed that day that a board on the stand is warped, but it didn't seem to be a supportive one, so I've kinda "let it dry and ignore".

We're having renovations and basically demolished the kitchen furniture and we found some mold.
While we took everything out and cleaned with bleach, today after a water change I've found a mold spot inside the aquarium cabinet on the bottom corner.
This is the side that leaked. Seems to be the same kind of mold that we found in the kitchen 2-3 weeks a go. I'm quite sure that 4 weeks a go, before the renovations, the spot was clean. I did a water change since I knew the appartment will be in a disaster state and that I won't have the time & energy to takecare of it.

Does it mean that side it still getting moisture?
It doesn't feel wet. If that's the case, how do I dry it? it really doesn't seem to leak after hot glue "art project".
Is this still structurally safe to use? Am I risking an apocalyptic flood?
I'm unsure which parts are supportive and which aren't. There's a "divider" inside the aquarium that splits internal space in half, but it seems quite thin. Are those what's supporting the aquarium?

Here's the aquarium and a bunch of pictures of the spot that warped.
Thanx in advance.

1.jpg

PXL_20201031_185122493.jpgPXL_20201031_185133861.jpgPXL_20201031_185334641.jpgPXL_20201031_185706149.jpgPXL_20201031_185746715.jpgPXL_20201215_061829876.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That stands best years are way behind it, whether it's damp related or just old is immaterial, you need a new one. What's your DIY skills like (plenty of tutorials on line) and more importantly, given that you live in a one bedroomed apartment, have you got somewhere to make a stand? If making one is not an option you could rummage through your local ads.

And i'd seal those "holes" permanantly with silicone, just in case they are indeed the reason why your stand has perished. Good luck.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Yep looks like that particle board is slowly giving way after years of wear and water damage. I don't like the stand design to begin with. It was only a matter of time before that top plank started to sag around the edges.

The good news is that a solid 2x4 stand will be relatively easy and cheap to construct provided you have the tools to do so. And as an added bonus your apartment will have that fresh lumber scent for a few weeks afterwards.

Alternative is to look up some other stands for a 72 bow front which is what that appears to be. You could end up paying a bit more though.

Whatever you do, there's no avoiding moving the fish temporarily and breaking down the tank to move it onto the new stand. A simple plastic tote or bucket with an airstone should hold your fish for several hours just fine.

Also look up heavy duty steel racks and shelving. Your tank could weigh almost 1000 lbs. Full so make sure whatever you get can hold more--rated for at least 2000 lbs would be safe ime. Ive considered purchasing welded steel machine tables for some of my smaller tanks before.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with esoxlucius esoxlucius and Backfromthedead Backfromthedead suggest building or buying one asap.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
There's nothing else that seems damaged. it's possible to have "hidden damage"?
Mold is an indicator that the thing is not structurally safe any more?

Why this particular design is bad? Is it because of the corners not being supported or there are other issues?
What I'm looking for in a good stand?
What I'm looking to avoid in a good stand?

What if I just screw a straight plank to that part to "straighten it up"?
Technically, if it dries back straight in the appropriate position, it should be fine, right?

My DIY skills are "help boyfriend to build IKEA drawers".

I'm unsure about building a stand, the planks at the "construction" store are not straight to begin with.
I have no idea if and how much they'll warp over time. Any particular materials I'm looking for?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I'd be looking for a replacement.

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
> Your tank could weigh almost 1000 lbs.

It definitelly weights at leat that.
I've struggled bringing it in with my BF. I can lift 60kg (100ish lb) without problem, but that tank is definitelly the limit of my strenght.
It can easily weight 200lb while empty. Water is ~300kg/600lb (1liter of water = 1kg). + substrate.

> A simple plastic tote or bucket with an airstone should hold your fish for several hours just fine.
Pleco doesn't fit any buckets any more :grinno:
...at least horizontally xD

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Reactions: Backfromthedead

Urgula

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
1608056643084.png
Is this corner the same level as the rest of the top shelf?
Do I need to put a board on top of that thing?

The shelf lengt and dept is exactly the size of the aquarium, meaning that it would sit on the corners as well.
Do I need something bigger in this case?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store