Is my tank to big

obie83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2007
ohio
I Have a 180 gallon tank and was going to purchase a couple black ghost knives and ornate bichers. The question was that all of the fish are less then 4in. Would they be ok in a tank that size or would it be to hard to make sure they got fed.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
The knives are going to be hard to feed for a while. Also, only purchase one bgk. They can be very aggressive to their own. Ensure plenty of hiding spaces for the knife and poly. If there is any competition, the poly will most likely hurt the knife. Bgk are a sensitive fish and polys can be a bit nippy at times as it is. Both fish are carnivorous though, so that makes feeding a bit easier.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend either fish for beginners. I kept large specimens of both species, and a fine balance had to be kept up. Tank arrangement, feeding, light schedules, etc. Not saying that you are a beginner, just that the bgk especially needs some special care. As for tank mates, I would recommend a larger, slow moving peaceful cichlid. Severums, uaru, angels, the like. The problem with the polys and bgk is they are both very slow eaters. Both fish are mostly blind and have to sniff out their food. Things like silver dollars will out compete them. On the flip side, things like neons and other small fish will simply be eaten. Plecos are a good option, but that introduces more competition for territory.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Well, you could still go with your intended plan, or you could do a larger shoaling fish, or you could plant the tank, or you could do a single big puffer. Or a large school of exodons. All would be pretty different.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You could do african brown knife, which are on my list as they are supposedly more out and about than the BGKs, smaller, and a bit easier to care for (according to my research, I've not had either.)

You could do knives with a group of bichirs and add more for an african-themed tank. I have a mini 65-gallon version now and plan to upgrade to something more around the 200 mark.
Ctenopoma acutirostre (leopard bushfish), some rope fish, butterfly fish, larger tetras like congos or something. And I keep pushing for everyone to get Paratilapia Polleni also. ;)

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Don't put plecos with your Bichir you run the risk of them injuring the Bichir. I have no expeirence with BGK but in a tank that size with ample hiding places more than 1 should be okay. The Ornate Bichir has the potential to reach 2ft. so suddenly your tank will not look as big. These fish live in large bodies of water and find food so your tank will not be to large.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store